Search when not logged in

Hi, we run our site on a membership basis and I realise there may be mixed views on this but I always felt that the ability to display search hits when not logged in was a good way to attract new members to our site. With versions 2.4.x anybody could do a search on the homepage and the hits would be displayed, though somebody not logged in could not access the underlying documents. Under version 3.0.2 this has gone and no search results can be obtained without logging in. Non members cannot get an impression of what may be in the archive which we regarded as a useful “selling” tool.

Any thoughts on changing this back or making it an option?

Hi @nickpanes,

I’m not sure I’m following exactly – the search tool should be available to all users, not just logged-in users.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Please try it Alec, it certainly does not work after I log out.

www.englishceramiccircle.org.uk/journal

Regards

Nick

You should check your settings in
User&rRoles => Site Access Options

That is quite interesting. The two options are
1 Users must be registered and log in to view the journal site.
2 Users must be registered and log in to view open access content.

With 1 or with both ticked the searches are not possible and I cannot even access “About the journal”

With only 2 ticked I would have thought the papers would not be able to be viewed but they can be, and everything else on the site works as if I am logged in.

You could also check Settings => Distribution => Access

1 Like

We use subscriptions (awaited in v 3.1) and I think this limits our options. However, I think your prompting has led me to the solution. Under Distribution we have ticked “The journal will provide open access to its contents”, and under User&rRoles => Site Access Options we have unticked “Users must be registered and log in to view the journal site”. This now provides access to all parts of the site except the pdfs themselves, which is what we wanted. Many thanks!