Reviewers unable to see review file

This is happening after the reviewer has accepted the assignment, and “Reviewers will not be given access to the submission file until they have agreed to review it.” is not checked in the Workflow settings for the journal.

We’re testing manually editing the reviewer information to let them see the second file and will report back. If that works, then this is a good workaround.

Manually editing the reviewer’s information to select the file works, so thank you, @rcgillis for that workaround.

@Johanna, does this work for your journals that had ongoing reviews when they were moved to OJS 3.3?

@rcgillis Is there a use case why a reviewer should not be allowed to see all of the files in the Review Files area of the Review page? Especially if the reviewer is allowed by workflow policy to have access to a review file before they have agreed to review it?

@rcgillis @mreedks This workaround (edit, and ensuring that the appropriate files are selected) works for me. This journal has over 100 articles out for review that need to be manually edited like this for individual reviewers in order to avoid this issue. Is there any way to be sure we can avoid this in the future? It would be nice if it defaulted to being selected instead of the opposite, though of course that may create other issues. For my use case it would be a big improvement, though!

Hi @mreedks

Version 3.3.0-8 (so there would be very minor differences in the codebase - but nothing that should impact this).

Hard to say for certain. Journals have different approaches to this … For example, they might allow certain access for one reviewer to particular files, and others for another viewers (e.g. if there are supplementary files), or want different reviewers to review different components of the articles, and limit access to certain ones only to editors.

Good question - I’m not sure offhand, but - I’ll follow-up with some of my team members and see if they can offer any advice. Totally agree that it would be great to be able to avoid this in the future.

-Roger
PKP Team

Thanks @rcgillis! I’ll be on the lookout for any additional information you might share!