Reviewer list won't load (OJS 3.0.2.0)

Hi,

I was faced with the same issue today (operating OJS 3.0.2 in English and French). Actually, as I retrieved this post, I reckoned I had the same issue already a few months ago (I haven’t been assigning reviewers since then), which I then solved by working on non utf-8 characters.
Now the strange behavior in my case is that, when I assign reviewers through the English interface, the list of reviewers is listed successfully, but I get the frozen window only in the French interface.
Obviously, this may be connected to the fact that French contains many accented characters.
I tried adapting the “interest” in db table controlled_vocab_entry_settings with setting_name, with no positive result. I did the same with user names, and eventually broke my db. Hopefully this was restored from backup soon.

Now, as I run OJS on a shared hosting server, having little if any access to PHP error logging, I wonder if there is any more structural action that could be taken to avoid this to happen again?
Perhaps:

1. checking language configuration in config.inc.php as suggested here
  2. Enabling character normalization to utf-8 (recommended) in config.inc.php (here: charset_normalization = On)? What’s that for in any case?