Required fields in URN/DOI-Plugin

Hi,

I encountered a problem with the public identifier plugins that occurs when you want to switch from using URNs to using DOIs (or the other way round).

If the plugin is not enabled, the URNs/DOIs are not shown on the website. But if the plugin is enabled, it insists on generating identifiers (by the “Journal Content” field being a required field).

I “solved” the problem by selecting “issues” and “individual suffix”, but I fear that this setting might cause problems at some point. Is it really necessary to make the content field a required field? Are there other ways to show previously assigned identifiers without assigning new ones?

best,
Carola

Hi @carola

Yes, we are aware of the problem, but haven’t figured a solution for that yet – it rarely happens. This is slightly different in OJS 3, because the DOIs are not automatically assigned there, so that the plugin can stay enabled.
I think your solution is good for now, till we maybe figure out another one :slight_smile:

Thanks!
Bozana

Hi @bozana,

thanks! If it is different in OJS 3, we can wait. But I don’t find where the automatic assignment can be switched off in OJS 3. Is it in the PI Plugins or somewhere in the settings?

best,
Carola

Hi @carola

It does not have to be switched off – it is implemented like this – the editor have to explicitly assign a DOI/URN…

Best,
Bozana