Reinstalling OJS after 6 months offline due to hackers

Description of issue or problem I’m having:
I am the new admin officer at PSRH.org.nz and I’m trying to restore the OJS journals.

Steps I took leading up to the issue:
I’ve uploaded the new OJS package to subdomain directory. Clicked install. Has come up with do you want to upgrade or install. I don’t know as though there is probably copies server side of the Journal I do not have any copies and I’m not familiar with the process.

What I tried to resolve the issue:

I tried both installation and upgrade. Both returned errors.
Application Version - e.g., OJS 3.1.2:
the latest one.

Additional information, such as screenshots and error log messages if applicable:

nternal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@pacificjournalreproductivehealth.psrh.org.nz to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Hello @VickiLE,

Which version of OJS did you upgrade from? You may want to see our upgrade guide: How to Upgrade

If you run up against issues, it’s best to check your PHP error log, and you can post relevant error message logs here, and our community will try to assist.

-Roger
PKP Team

Hi I’ve had another go at reinstalling OJS. Not sure which version it previously was as that was before my time but last article was published in Sept 21.

The internal server error is still happening.

This is what’s in the error log.

[11-Apr-2022 02:49:02 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘class’ (T_CLASS) in /home/psrhorgn/public_html/pacificjournalreproductivehealth/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php on line 230
[11-Apr-2022 02:49:25 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘class’ (T_CLASS) in /home/psrhorgn/public_html/pacificjournalreproductivehealth/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php on line 230
[11-Apr-2022 02:49:30 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘class’ (T_CLASS) in /home/psrhorgn/public_html/pacificjournalreproductivehealth/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php on line 230
[11-Apr-2022 02:49:51 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘class’ (T_CLASS) in /home/psrhorgn/public_html/pacificjournalreproductivehealth/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php on line 230
[11-Apr-2022 02:52:28 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘class’ (T_CLASS) in /home/psrhorgn/public_html/pacificjournalreproductivehealth/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php on line 230
[11-Apr-2022 02:54:52 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘class’ (T_CLASS) in /home/psrhorgn/public_html/pacificjournalreproductivehealth/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php on line 230
[11-Apr-2022 03:03:17 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘class’ (T_CLASS) in /home/psrhorgn/public_html/pacificjournalreproductivehealth/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php on line 230
[11-Apr-2022 03:05:04 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘class’ (T_CLASS) in /home/psrhorgn/public_html/pacificjournalreproductivehealth/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php on line 230
[11-Apr-2022 03:05:48 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘class’ (T_CLASS) in /home/psrhorgn/public_html/pacificjournalreproductivehealth/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php on line 230
[11-Apr-2022 03:05:53 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘class’ (T_CLASS) in /home/psrhorgn/public_html/pacificjournalreproductivehealth/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php on line 230
[11-Apr-2022 03:06:06 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘class’ (T_CLASS) in /home/psrhorgn/public_html/pacificjournalreproductivehealth/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php on line 230
[11-Apr-2022 03:15:35 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘class’ (T_CLASS) in /home/psrhorgn/public_html/pacificjournalreproductivehealth/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php on line 230
[11-Apr-2022 03:22:26 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘class’ (T_CLASS) in /home/psrhorgn/public_html/pacificjournalreproductivehealth/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php on line 230
[11-Apr-2022 03:27:18 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘class’ (T_CLASS) in /home/psrhorgn/public_html/pacificjournalreproductivehealth/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php on line 230
[11-Apr-2022 03:29:35 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘class’ (T_CLASS) in /home/psrhorgn/public_html/pacificjournalreproductivehealth/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php on line 230
[11-Apr-2022 03:31:16 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘class’ (T_CLASS) in /home/psrhorgn/public_html/pacificjournalreproductivehealth/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php on line 230
[11-Apr-2022 03:31:18 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘class’ (T_CLASS) in /home/psrhorgn/public_html/pacificjournalreproductivehealth/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php on line 230
[11-Apr-2022 03:34:07 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘class’ (T_CLASS) in /home/psrhorgn/public_html/pacificjournalreproductivehealth/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php on line 230
[11-Apr-2022 03:34:24 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘class’ (T_CLASS) in /home/psrhorgn/public_html/pacificjournalreproductivehealth/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php on line 230
[11-Apr-2022 03:34:33 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Composer detected issues in your platform: Your Composer dependencies require a PHP version “>= 7.3.0”. You are running 7.0.33. in /home/psrhorgn/public_html/pacificjournalreproductivehealth/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/composer/platform_check.php on line 24
[11-Apr-2022 03:34:45 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Composer detected issues in your platform: Your Composer dependencies require a PHP version “>= 7.3.0”. You are running 7.1.33. in /home/psrhorgn/public_html/pacificjournalreproductivehealth/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/composer/platform_check.php on line 24
[11-Apr-2022 03:37:59 UTC] WARNING: The NavigationMenu (ContextId: 1, Title: User Navigation Menu, Area: user) will be skipped because the specified area has already a NavigationMenu attached.
[11-Apr-2022 03:37:59 UTC] WARNING: The NavigationMenu (ContextId: 1, Title: Primary Navigation Menu, Area: primary) will be skipped because the specified area has already a NavigationMenu attached.
[11-Apr-2022 03:37:59 UTC] WARNING: The NavigationMenu (ContextId: 0, Title: User Navigation Menu, Area: user) will be skipped because the specified area has already a NavigationMenu attached.
[11-Apr-2022 03:38:00 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught PDOException: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1366 Incorrect string value: ‘\xD9\x86\xD8\xB4\xD8\xA7…’ for column ‘subject’ at row 1 in /home/psrhorgn/public_html/pacificjournalreproductivehealth/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/Driver/PDOStatement.php:115
Stack trace:
#0 /home/psrhorgn/public_html/pacificjournalreproductivehealth/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/Driver/PDOStatement.php(115): PDOStatement->execute(NULL)
#1 /home/psrhorgn/public_html/pacificjournalreproductivehealth/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Database/Connection.php(489): Doctrine\DBAL\Driver\PDOStatement->execute()
#2 /home/psrhorgn/public_html/pacificjournalreproductivehealth/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Database/Connection.php(664): Illuminate\Database\Connection->Illuminate\Database{closure}(‘INSERT INTO ema…’, Array)
#3 /home/psrhorgn/public_html/pacificjournalreproductivehealth/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Database/Con in /home/psrhorgn/public_html/pacificjournalreproductivehealth/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Database/Connection.php on line 671

I’ve tried to connect from the PKP side and this is the int server error message I get including contact webmaster at this URL, which is different from the pacificjournalreproductivehealth.psrh.org.nz address I thought it was.

webmaster@pacificjournalreproductivehealth-org.psrh.org.nz

Is this significant? Sorry for the ignorance.

Hi @VickiLE,

Which version of PHP are you using?

It seems, from looking at the error messages, you’re trying to use an unsupported PHP version.

Also, make sure you have backups of everything before you try upgrading your installation, just in case something goes wrong.