I would like to improve the listing of reviewers in our installation (OJS 126.96.36.199), completing for all of them the reviewing interest field. this of course can be done manually, but I would like to invite all reviewers to enter the site and review their data.
As anyone had experience in sending an email out to each reviewer, asking them to click a link to access their personal review interests?
Is there a direct access link?
Is there a variable to pull in “Reviewing interest” in an email?
Which variables did you use to pull into an email the recipient’s username and password when sending an email from “search users”?
I am sure there would be other questions, but so far even these options would help me greatly…
Thank you for any experiences you may be able to share,
I’ve seen this kind of outreach done before, but in a different context: to encourage all users to edit their profiles and update their preferences. I think a similar thing could be done with reviewers to encourage them to update their reviewing interests, though. I think it would involve the following steps:
- Identifying the reviewers within one’s OJS instance (this could be done through the users exports
- Exporting those users using the CSV export (in OJS 3.3+) - you may also be able to fiiter through this list to identify the users who are reviewers (I don’t recall right off-hand what the data looks like)
- Send out a well-crafted generic email to reviewers (I would make it a point to include their addresses in the BCC field). Depending on how many reviewers you were dealing with you could do this in two batches (or do it with a small subset of reviewers to see how responsive they are )
- In said email, having clear instructions for reviewers on where to login and edit their reviewing interests (and perhaps include a bit on why your journal is doing this)
But, to answer your specific questions:
- I don’t think there is a direct link - technically you might be able to try the link to a given profile - but instructions would still be necessary to inform them where to got to edit their profile and their reviewing interests.
- So far as I know, there is no variable for Reviewing interests
- Using variables to pull in username and passwords might be tricky, unless you were doing a prepared email and emailing them one-by-one (which would be rather tedious).
Perhaps not exactly what you are looking for, but just passing along how I’ve seen similar things to this done before.
Dear Roger, sorry it took me a while to get back to this topic. I like you first suggestion, as it seems the more transparent and engaging. However, it would be much better if there were an easier way and give immediate access to their own reviewing interests to reviewers.
I will try your suggestion an email all reviewers; I will also add a specific request in the invitation to review email, so reviewers may find the task easier.
Thank you very much for your comments.