Reference checking advice

Hi,

We are finding the Citation Markup Assistant is not producing a reliable output of references in APA. I imagine it’s the same in other formats. How do other people deal with this? Are we missing something?

Thanks,

Sharon

Hi @SharonRobinson,

What version of OJS are you using? (Please include this information in your posts.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi Alec,

Apologies. We have a journal on 2.3.8.0 and one on 2.4.7.1

Thanks,

Sharon

Hi @SharonRobinson,

You might find things behave a little more consistently in the current stable OJS 2.x release – currently 2.4.8-2 – but generally speaking we’re not maintaining the Citation Assistant, and some of the external services it relies upon have changed. Our future plans for reference parsing and management are to facilitate automated parsing (e.g. using our own Open Typesetting Stack) rather than supporting a toolset that’s limited to just citations.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi, Alec,
I am new to OJS (OJS 3.1.1.2) and I wonder if there is a way to run references through eXstyles for validation. I know it is a paid service, which requires a contracts with CrossRef. Can you share additional details on this function in OJS? Thanks,
Lucia

Hi @Isteele,

I’ve never worked with eXstyles; I suppose it would probably require the development of an OJS plugin in order to integrate the service, and I’m not aware of anyone working on that at the moment.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi Alec, it is a shame… OJS is a good competitor to other submission sites, and some additional features would be an excellent addition.

Thanks for your reply!

Lucia

Lucia Steele

Hi @lsteele,

We’re also community-developed free software – if anyone is interested in adding that support to OJS, we’d be happy to work with them.

Regards,
Alec Smecher