Reduce the number of options to choose from under notifications

We should probably solve that problem at it’s source: a user without a role in a journal should maybe not even see their profile, but instead just a page to opt into a role or something…

The problem there is that some of the profile page data is site related (name, email etc.) and some context related (roles, notifications).

I can see two main options here (and probably a lot of options between):

1. divide the profile page so that the site related data is always edited under index/user/profile and context specific data (roles, notifications) are under a different handler. So you would have both “View profile” link and “Roles and notifications” in the pull down. Probably this solution has issues I can not think of right now.

edit: the other link could even say something like “Register to this journal” if the user has no roles in the context (I know that “register” is not the right word here, but I remember hearing that you hate “enroll” :joy:)

1. Hide the notification tab if the user does not have any roles in the context. And probably always hide that tab if the user is on the site level (index/user/profile)

Some of the data is site-wide, but the user is for the most part oblivious of the journal/site breakdown. If a user visits /<context>/user/profile for a context that they have no role in, they should not see user profile details. To that journal, they should effectively not exist and that should be mirrored in what the user themselves sees on that page.

Hi @NateWr!
I’m just setting up my first journal with OJS and have the same question as outlined above. Why would someone without an editorial role (i.e. author, reader or reviewer) need to opt in or out of notifications of submission events? I’m sure we have the latest version of OJS, so has this not yet been fixed?
Has anyone found a way to remove the inappropriate notifications from users’ profile tab?
Glad for any advice! thanks

1 Like

One year later - but the issue seems still to be there:

Like gosandra I do not understand why the notification settings in the user profile are not dependent on the user roles? It simply makes no sense (to my eyes) to offer readers, authors, reviewers an options to receive or not receive.“editor needs to be assigned” messages. Also a “new title was submitted” message should not be send to readers/authors/reviewers (submitting authors should always receive a confirmation mail). I really hope, that these configurations actually do not work at all for inappropriate roles - but if they do not work, why do we show them?

Best
Armin

Hi @aguen,

This is an older post. Can you create a new post, outlining your feedback please (and feel free to link back to this post if you’d like)

-Roger
PKP Team