Reduce the number of options - notifications

Hi,
In August 2018, I called attention to the problem concerning the many notification options for readers when setting their profile. See: Reduce the number of options to choose from under notifications - #26 by rcgillis
The case was closed in April 2020. I wonder why cause the problem has not been solved. Are you e.g. just registered as a reader, you can still choose to be notified when new manuscripts are submitted. At first glance, I would think that this is contrary to the GDPR.
Best
Niels Erik

Hi @nef, we’re closing old support topics in order to help our team triage, manage and respond to ongoing requests. Posts in the Feature Requests forum (where this post is) will remain open.

It looks like this issue is filed in GitHub. Progress can be followed here: Improve Notifications in User Profile · Issue #6133 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

Are you e.g. just registered as a reader, you can still choose to be notified when new manuscripts are submitted. At first glance, I would think that this is contrary to the GDPR.

It won’t actually send a notification to a user unless they have permission to receive it. I agree, it’s unnecessarily confusing. Users should only be asked to opt-in or -out of notifications they can actually receive.