Quicksubmit plugin and users

I have use Quicksubmit plugin, to make archive of journal for 20 years. No problems with plugin. Except one: I have a lot of similar (duplicated) records of Author names. And if i need to Update some information of Author, - i can do it only through database directly.

Is there any ability to combine(merge) author’s in one profile?

Hi @redukr,

I am afraid not. The each article has its own set of authors in the DB.

Regards, Primož

@primozs and there is no ability to create some kind of plugin to merge this users? or to merge authors with registered users?

Hi @redukr,

As far as I know there is no such plugin.

Regards, Primož

Hi @redukr,

The author records are deliberately multiplied. If an author changes their institutional affiliation, or last name, etc., then it should not change the metadata for already-published articles.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Are author names therefore connected to each article? this means an accurate database when exporting data, right?

Hi @lsteele,

Yes, each article’s author records are maintained separately (a.k.a. each author record is attached to a single article).

Regards,
Alec Smecher

hi @asmecher! if you will use quicksubmit plugin it doesn’t use registered authors. it creates each time new author

Hi @redukr,

Yes, that’s deliberate, as I wrote above.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I understand. but what should i do if i have archive of journals and articles for 20 years (from 1996). and for example, in our country only in last few years people know about scopus\wos\doi\ORCID. not all athors even know what it is. How to mass manage authors? for example: i have submit 600 articles (9 years archive) how to add orchid profile links but not through database directly

Hi @redukr,

Yes, author disambiguation is a big problem, and not one that’s fully solved yet. Google Scholar essentially has a huge database, but they haven’t made it open for tools like ours to use, unfortunately. ORCID is good but doesn’t have universal adoption and will not solve the problem e.g. of authors who have retired or died. (They require the author to sign up on their own behalf.) I’m not aware of any ideal identifier that we could be supporting.

For batch imports, you could use the XML import format, which supports ORCIDs.

Regards,
Alec Smecher