[Solved] Questions about OJS 3.0.2

Hello there.
I’ve been using OJS 3.0.2 for some months now, without any major problems. I come here to ask u guys about a few concerns i have, and things i couldn’t find alone:

1. First of all, how to make a full backup of the site, automatic or manual. I can imagine how I can make a backup of the files direct from server, but Its possible to make a backup of files and database, easily? Maybe a plugin?
  2. I can create new models of emails, however, when in submission page or avaliation page, when i click in author name and “Notify” to send a notification, i click in the model of email i created before but nothing happens, the email don’t appear. I teste it in another browser to check if it could be just a compatibility error, but nothing. Any thoughts?
  3. I had a Section defined to submission of a especial issue. When the final date to subimission came, i looked everywhere to see how i could stop submissions on that section, couldn’t find any options, so I thought i could just delete the section. Result = All previous submissions of that sections were also deleted. How i should do it without another catastrofe?

Regarding number 1: I think that OJS2 had a plugin (not sure) but OJS3 does not have one.

Regardin number 3: those submissions were not deleted, they just disappeared, see: [OJS] OJS 3.0.2. Removing a section makes all submissions connected to that section disappear · Issue #2415 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

Regarding number 1: I think that OJS2 had a plugin (not sure) but OJS3 does not have one.

Exactly, will be waiting for a solution.

Regardin number 3: those submissions were not deleted, they just disappeared, see: https://github.com/pkp/pkp-lib/issues/24151

I read all discussion, and agree with the solution proposed about when try to delet an existing section, but it does not fix the problem about when you need to close submissions in a section. There must be a button to activate or deactivate a section.

There is a button to deactivate a section.

Settings => Journal => Sections

Click the blue triangle in front of a section. Choose the selection “Items can only be submitted by Editors and Section Editors”

Found it! Nice to know! Thanks.

Hi @Hugo_Melo,

In response to your question #2, are these e-mail templates that you created before upgrading to OJS 3.0.2 or did you create them in OJS 3.0.2?

Thanks,
Amanda Stevens
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi Amanda. I created them in the 3.0.2 already. Our site was created with the 3.0.2 from the begining.

Hi @Hugo_Melo,

Thanks for the further information. This post offers some suggestions of things you can check on, such as whether the e-mail template was somehow disabled. Please let me know if this solves your problem.

Thanks,
Amanda Stevens

No, the problem don’t even look the same.
In here, the template is created and active, however the model dont appear:

I’m sorry, I thought you said that “nothing happened” it meant that when you clicked on the template it didn’t open, not that when you opened the template the message field was blank. It sounds like the problem could still be that an e-mail template is missing from your database. Did you check to see if all of the templates are active? There are a number of different templates that could be loaded when you send a notification.

Best,
Amanda Stevens

Yeah, all active, and available to edit, so it is saved.

I just tested this by creating a custom template and going to the notify-function. For me it works. I can create a custom template and when I choose it from the pull down, the text appears to the textarea.

Is it possible that you have saved the message text for the wrong locale? When you go and edit the template and click on the message field, does it open several textareas?

Everything look right down here:

What happens if you change the message text to something simpler? I mean something without those variables.

Edit:

Ok, so adding the author name variable there will break it. I do not know why.
{$submissionTitle}, {$contextName} and {$editorialContactSignature} work just fine. Try removing the authorName variable from the template and see what happens.

@asmecher probably knows why the authorName is not available there. Two suggestions to make this work better @asmecher:

1. Even when a template has a variable that will not work, OJS should not return an empty template like it does now.
  2. Maybe we could have a list of available variables in the form that you use to create custom templates? The list could be hidden by default (a javascript toggle link + hidden div).
1 Like

Indeed, when removed the author name the template worked like a charm.

Thx for the efforts!

Here is another variables that don’t work in notification (custom templates):
{$passwordResetUrl}
{$submissionUrl}

Hi all,

I suspect there’s an error message, either in your browser console or your PHP error log, that will provide some more details on the problem.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

If u can guide me how to get this log, i can gather it for you.

Hi @Hugo_Melo,

See the FAQ for information about your PHP error log; for the browser console, Google your browser name and “error console” for instructions on how to find it.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Ok, here is what the chrome console is giving me when i choose a template with those variables:

1 Like