PubMed Export Plugin HTML tags converted to special character encoding

OJS 2.4.8-2
PubMed Export Plugin found under the Import/Export Plugins

Difficulty:
In the metadata of an article, we use standard HTML tags, an example would be:
Investigation of the acaricidal activity of the acetone and ethanol extracts of 12 South African plants against the adult ticks of Rhipicephalus turanicus.

Upon using the plugin, and viewing the xml in notepad the HTML tags converts to special character encoding, as an example: Investigation of the acaricidal activity of the acetone and ethanol extracts of 12 South African plants against the adult ticks of <i>Rhipicephalus turanicus</i>

This appears incorrectly in PubMed as:
Investigation of the acaricidal activity of the acetone and ethanol extracts of 12 South African plants against the adult ticks of Rhipicephalus turanicus.

We received notification from PubMed that their DTD identifies normal HTML tags as valid XML tags and that these should be submitted as is in order to function properly in PubMed and that we should not be converted to special character encoding.

We tested the PubMed export plugin in OJS 2.3.3.3 and it seems to happen as well in this version.

Request:
Does PKP have an update for this plugin to prevent HTML tags to be converted into special character encoding?

Best, Trudie

Just a note on the above, it seems that the HTML tags which I tried to paste, is not displaying correctly.

The DTD identifies <…b>,<…/b> <…i>,<…/i>, <…sup>, <…sub>, and <…u> as valid XML tags. these should be submitted as is (<…b>, <…i>, <…sup>, <…sub>, and )" in order to function properly in PubMed; these tags are now converted to special character encoding.

With the plugin, for instance <…/i> becomes (…&…lt;/i&…gt;…) which is incorrect.

Please ignore all the added ellipses, it was the only way that the code can display.