Problems after upgrading to OJS 3.3.0-6

I’ve upgraded an OJS 3.1.2-4 to 3.3.0-6. In the process I’ve searched through this forum as probably there was an unsuccessful upgrade without restoring the database before a second attempt. In short, I’ve deleted some tables that does not exist in 3.2.0 and then upgraded to 3.2.0 → 3.2.1 (here I had to delete some rows with “delete from email_log where assoc_id is null;”) → 3.3.0-6.

The last “php tools/upgrade.php upgrade” returned “Successfully upgraded to version 3.3.0.6”.

Now, under System Information I have the Notice: Undefined variable: latestVersionInfo in /mypath/ojs-3.3.0-6/lib/pkp/pages/admin/AdminHandler.inc.php on line 361

Another issue is that I’m not able to modify the portal settings. It gives an “Unexpected error has occurred. Please reload the page and try again”.

I’ve turned debug = on and display_errors = On without any luck on finding this out.

This is a test upgrade, so I can redo everything without any issue.

Any hints on how to figure this out (I’se searched here but didn’t find anything).

TIA,

Ricardo.

Hello Ricardo

I suggest do the update from 3.1.2.4 to the 3.2.1-4 before upgrading to the latest version of OJS.
You should rollback the database version before you made the upgrade.

Thank
Hendra

Hi @riccp,

OJS 3.1.2-4 should be able to update directly to 3.3.0-6 (and if not, it’s something we should definitely fix)!

The warning you’ve noted is cosmetic; you can fix it by applying the change at Warning in administration interface about latestVersionInfo · Issue #7090 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub. But if you’ve configured your PHP to send errors/warnings to the browser, they’ll interfere with AJAX requests, which is probably what you’re encountering more broadly. Make sure your PHP configuration is set to send errors and warnings to the log.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

That fix solved the warning. I had in php.ini:

error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_DEPRECATED & ~E_STRICT & ~E_WARNING
display_errors = Off
display_startup_errors = Off
log_errors = On

But I haven’t seen a change in the default “error_reporting” for php.ini. Then I’ve set mine as:

error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE & ~E_STRICT & ~E_DEPRECATED & ~E_WARNING

Then I removed the fix and the warning didn’t show up.

And what about not being able to change portal information? I have successfully modified some journal info and reinstall languages.

If I try to change the font, for instance, I see an error message (the second image in the OP).

Any hint on where to begin debuging? The conf is “debug=on”.

I’ll try that path later, but as pointed out by @asmecher, the direct update can be done. I can try a direct update from 3.1.2-4 and a step-by-step to see if there are any problems.

Will post here after that.

I’ve found out the problem: I had a typo in the .htaccess file.

I’ve made a clean install of 3.3.0-6, using my config.inc.php and the problem of not saving happened again. As I was using the same values of my default install in the config I thought it might be it.

So I used a clean config, changing only the database section and the “files”. This way worked.

Then I went back with my original config, disabling the restful_urls and it worked. This way I got the .htaccess problem.

The upgrade path was:

• restore the 3.1.2.4 database;
  • delete some tables (from a previously fault upgrade that I cannot determine when)
  • delete some rows from “email_log” with ‘delete from email_log where assoc_id is null;’
  • extract the 3.3.0-6
  • copy my working config.inc.php
  • adjust the config.inc.php with “installed = off”
  • php tools/upgrade.php upgrade

The upgrade completed successfully.

Thank you all for the help.

1 Like