Prevent authors from selecting submission primary language

We have a bilingual journal on OJS 3.3.0.8 that has a single primary language. The secondary language is only used for metadata. Some authors choose the wrong primary language by mistake, and since editors can not change submission primary language, the only way to solve this issue is to ask the author for resubmission. Is there a way to prevent authors from selecting the primary language? even if it requires code change.

Hi @Mohammad_Jaafar_Ali,

Under Administration → Hosted Journals → Settings Wizard, you can configure what parts of the UI for a given enabled locale are enabled for users:

Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 10.09.31 AM

Perhaps that would work for you?

-Roger
PKP Team

Hi @rcgillis,
Thank you for your reply.

The problem is that if I uncheck “submissions” for the secondary language, the author will not be able to enter submission metadata in that language. What I want is that only the submission language option is hidden/locked while other metadata fields still show the secondary language.

1 Like

It is worth noting that when the author uses the secondary language in the UI, it will be the default option in “submission language”

I commented out the code in submissionLocale.tpl and put the following code:

{fbvElement type="hidden" id="locale" value="en_US"}

(en_US is the primary language for this journal). I’m not sure if this may cause any issues

1 Like

Hi @Mohammad_Jaafar_Ali,

Thanks for clarifying. Modifying the code for this might be the way you could go, however, I’m not sure how exactly to go about this, but I’ll see if some of my colleagues can weigh in when they are available.

Best regards,

Roger
PKP Team

1 Like

@rcgillis

I’m thinking of submitting a feature request for a fourth column in “languages settings” to enable/disable a language in “submission primary language” field.

What is the best practice for feature request? Through this forum or through github?

Hi @Mohammad_Jaafar_Ali,

It might be best if you created a new post on here and categorized it as “Feature Request” (rather than “Software support”. Our devs monitor posts labelled as feature requests and will discuss it there, and then, if they feel its appropriate for Github will say so.

Best regards,

Roger
PKP Team

2 Likes

a less traumatic workaround would be: after the work is accepted, the editorial team would use the QuickSubmit plugin to create a new work with the right primary language just for publishing (as if you were migrating old content).

a definite solution would seem to be allowing editors to promote to primary language status any of the secondary language metadata:

as for you original suggestion, “Prevent authors from selecting submission primary language”, it seems a variant of the following issue: