Portico plugin PHP eeror

I’m trying to get the Portico plugin to start working again, and I’m stuck.

I’m getting this in the php error log:

PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ')' in /home/OJSROOT/plugins/importexport/portico/PorticoExportPlugin.inc.php on line 155

I’ve tried reinstalling it from the module gallery but it seems the install never finishes and the error starts appearing in the logs.

Hello @Jorge,

Could you please indicate which version of OJS you’re using (e.g. 3.3.0-11) ?

-Roger
PKP Team

I’m on OJS 3.2.0.3. Thanks!

Hello @rcgillis , any ideas on what to try here? Maybe a different version?

Hi @Jorge,

Sorry - I’m not familiar with this error message, you may have to wait for someone to comment and suggest a solution.

-Roger
PKP Team

Is there any specific place I could try to get support with this particular plugin?

Hello @Dulip_Withanage - could you give me a hand with this? Thanks!

Hi @Jorge

The Portico plugin has had a lot of homes and work done to it over the years, and OJS 3.2.0 is over two years old now. I suggest you consider upgrading to OJS 3.3. I’ve taken a look at the Portico plugin and I’m having difficulty finding a version of the plugin that has a ) on line 155 so perhaps the install is broken or only partially complete.

Best
Jason

I have installed and reinstalled the one that comes with OJS 3.2.x. It’s also the latest version, as far as I can see on Github.

Hi @Jorge

What version of PHP are you using?

the version available as the latest release package in the github repository has no syntax errors as far as PHP is concerned:

jason@MalHavoc-Linux:~/portico$ php -l PorticoExportPlugin.inc.php
No syntax errors detected in PorticoExportPlugin.inc.php

This is with PHP 7.4. I’m not sure OJS 3.2.0 is compatible with PHP8.

Best
Jason

I’m on PHP 7.2, pretty sure by requirement of this install. I could try PHP 7.4 and see what happens.

Good news! PHP 7.4 cured a LOT of problems, including constant errors in the error_log. It does cause some new errors to appear, but no loss of functionality so far.