PDF download timeout

Hi,

We are running an OJS at Taiwan and it works well locally. However, we kept getting complaints from our editors and authors in Europe that they cannot download PDF files. They system times out after downloading 1MB. Is there some setting that I can change to make this work? Thanks.

Hsu

Hi

Try, increasing the varible max_execution_time in your php.ini

1 Like

Thank you for your very quick answer. I checked it, the current max_execution_time is 300. Should I still increase it? After changing this variable, do I have to restart the server? Thank you in advance.

Hi,

After some tests, I felt that this problem is more than “max_execution_time”. I asked 4 friends in Europe to test downloading a 3.3MB file from our OJS in Taiwan. All 4 of them could not complete the download, and came back with the same file exactly 1,369KB. However, I am able to download the file successfully in Taiwan. Is there any variable on file size that I need to adjust?

Hope to get your reply soon. Thanks.

Hsu

Hi @Hsu,

If your file size is 3.3M (3300kB) and your execution time limit is 300 seconds, then in order to download the PDF within the time limit the connection speed will have to be at least 11kB/s. That’s not very fast, but it’s conceivable that some users are downloading slower than that. I’d suggest increasing the limit, at least to see if it has any effect. You’d typically have to restart Apache to have this change take effect.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi Alec,

Thank you very much for your quick response. I changed the time limit to 1200 seconds and it worked for our European authors now.

Have a nice weekend.

Hsu