Option to display journal summary on homepage

Dear @NateWr and All,

as in the issue in Add option to display journal summary on homepage · Issue #3817 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub I would like to include the journal summary in the top of the main page. As far as I’ve seen it is not done yet, so we would really appreciate if someone could advise us how to do that.

Thanks in advance,
Bogi

Hi @bog,

The best way to do this is to put together a small child theme of the theme that you would like to use, then overwrite the indexJournal.tpl template with your own. You can learn more in the PKP Theming Guide, but here’s a quick rundown.

1. Create a child theme. You can read about theme setup & configuration and child themes. Or just use this example child theme to start.
  2. Add this child theme to your plugins directory at plugins/themes/<your-child-theme>.
  3. Enable the theme from the Settings > Website > Plugins page. Then activate it at Settings > Website > Appearance. Check that your site is still running. If you’ve gotten this far and the site is loading, then you’re running on your own theme. :+1:
  4. Copy the /templates/frontend/pages/indexJournal.tpl file to your child theme at plugins/themes/<your-child-theme>/templates/frontend/pages.indexJournal.tpl.
  5. Open plugins/themes/<your-child-theme>/templates/frontend/pages.indexJournal.tpl in a text editor and edit to your heart’s content. You can print the journal summary to the page with {$currentJournal->getData('about')}.

Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks @NateWr! Finally I made an easier move. :slight_smile: On the default theme I took the lines https://github.com/pkp/ojs/blob/master/templates/frontend/pages/indexJournal.tpl#L77-L82 with the additional information, and moved it to the top of the page. That’s all I wanted. :smiley:

Thanks for showing me the right files!

Bogi

Hi @bog,

Glad you were able to get it working. You should know, though, that your changes will be overwritten the next time that you update OJS. So whenever you update, you will have to make the change again.

By separating the changes out into a child theme, you can protect them from being overwritten in a future update.