OMP upgrade to 1.2.0: localization errors

Hi all,
I upgraded an installation of OMP from 1.1.0 to 1.2.0, using full package way, and there are some troubles.

I can’t Admin the site, any portion of the admin tabs loads and loads.

Here a couple of screenshots with the console error:

1. settings page

2. Press subission page

3. text encoding in home page is broken

Thanks,
Alfredo

Hello,
thanks to this post: Upgrading OMP from 1.1.1.1 to 1.2.0.0 - Some problens in new version

I solved the encoding problems, but the infinite loading of page portions persists.

Any idea?

Regards,
A.

Hi @Alfredo_Cosco,

Had you previously created your own it_IT (Italian) locale? If so, did you forget to move it to the new installation?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmecher,
in inherited the installation by a previuos admin, upgrading I copied the folder** locale/it_IT** from the old to the new installation.

Are there other folders to move or settings to do?

Regards,
Alfredo

Hi @asmecher and @Alfredo_Cosco

Alec, you sent me this patch: https://github.com/pkp/pkp-lib/commit/b9cea8fe71cb426499236d2a99b8b7f7cfb2cb0c.diff
Is that related? It solved my issue.

Best regards,

Tarcisio Pereira

Hi all,

I think the patch is a different issue.

@Alfredo_Cosco, I suspect the previous admin also added a new Italian entry to registry/locales.xml which needs to be added to the new installation.

More generally, if you’re inheriting someone else’s installation and aren’t sure how it’s been changed, you can use the standard diff tool, which is normally installed on any *NIX/MacOS system and can also be downloaded for Windows. That will allow you to compare your installation against the distribution, and thus extract the changes someone has made. Then you can use patch to apply those changes to the new installation, correcting manually when patch isn’t sure how to do it.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

@asmecher you’re right! Comparing the two locale.xml files i found the differences. and now most of the administration area works well.

There are just a lot of translation keys to translate in italian, but it is not a problem, I can do the job and share the result with the pkp community :wink:

I just have a problem with the submission page:

Regards,
Alfredo

Hi @Alfredo_Cosco,

If your PHP is configured to send warning/error messages to the browser, AJAX responses may get PHP warnings inserted into them. This will prevent JSON parsing from happening properly, so you’ll see subrequests not loading.

The best solution is to tinker with your PHP and/or OMP configuration files to ensure that things like deprecation warnings are logged but not sent to the browser. (This is recommended for production use anyway.) See config.inc.php for the display_errors and deprecation_warnings settings, and your php.ini configuration file for e.g. the error_log setting.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

1 Like

It works!

Thank you,
Alfredo