OJS3: Some strings disappear (English & French UI)

Hi! Some strings may disappear from some UI elements, like dropdown list-boxes. I have tested both English and French locales in Chrome and Firefox (Windows). Here is the example:

Hi @Ph_We,

The French translation isn’t yet complete; we depend on volunteers to keep translations up to date. When a translation is missing, the locale key (e.g. ##default.groups.name.guestEditor##) is shown instead.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi Alec,

Sorry, I was not quite specific. When I say ‘may disappear’, I mean they may disappear sporadically. So here is what I can see when I call the same dropdown list to add a role for myself:

The screenshot in the first message I made when trying to add a role for some other user.
So all those names are actually there, but they may not be displayed in some cases. The locale is English in both cases.

Hi @Ph_We,

Were you able to track this down any further? I couldn’t replicate it here. If you’re able to provide me with a database dump and an example user ID that shows the problem, that might help.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

I think, I’ve found the conditions for this error. This do not occur in a single-language journal (English). I can only replicate it in a dual-language set up.

Hi @Ph_We,

Is the primary language of your journal still set to English, or has it changed to French or something else? I’m still having trouble replicating this.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

The primary language is Russian. Two others are English and French. I can replicate this error with any locale chosen.
Please, note, that I get exactly the same list in all three cases:

I.e. in all three locales I get these English items with all those ‘gaps’.

Hi @Ph_We,

When you create your journal, the database is populated with content from the XML files. If you created the journal with a Russian primary locale before those strings were translated, then e.g. added the XML translations later, then that would be too late and you’d need to correct the missing translations by editing the roles via the web interface. Could that be what happened? If you’ve put the translations in place after creating the journal, could you test with a newly-created journal and see if that helps?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Yes, you are right indeed, I have the same ‘gaps’ in the list of Roles:

But the fact is I did not try to edit or add anything here, and did not try to translate anything.
Anyway, I think all those terms are supposed to have translations, since they may be displayed on the journal page. Am I right?

And again, if I try to add a role for myself, I get a list without those ‘gaps’, so I think there may be a bug somewhere here.

Hi @Ph_We,

Have you worked with the translation files in your installation?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

Nope, I didn’t modify any files.

Hi @Ph_We,

Just to be sure I’m following – what is your site’s language configuration (what languages are installed, and which is primary)? Likewise, what are your journal’s language settings? Have you changed the journal’s primary locale after creating it? I haven’t been able to reproduce the problem locally, which would help me debug.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

Here is the site’s language settings:

Journal’s language settings:

But now I cannot reproduce this for any newly created journal. Only for the first one I created right after the clean installation without making any additional changes at all.