OJS3: Google is indexing only 1 language per url

Greetings,

As I am started to working with google search console, I have noticed that from my OJS3 site, which have 2 installed languages, only one (primary) is indexed. It can be a problem for us in the future. According to google multilanguage sites should use separate urls for every language. But, obviously, we have 1 url for all. I have checked the indexing by their google scanner and it really shows only 1 language for the page.

Is there a possibility to bypass this restriction? maybe add separate url`s for different languages? Or there is a possibility to add crucial html tags (like title element) on different languages on 1 url?

I wonder if adding hreflang with a redirect url to each page and for each language would help. Example:
<link rel="alternate" hreflang="en" href="http://ojsexample.com/index.php/journalname/user/setLocale/en_US?source=%2Findex.php%2Fjournalname%2Farticle%2Fview%2F59314%2F" />

edit: obviously not a very good solution

Hi all,

I presume you’re mostly interested in article landing pages, as opposed to e.g. article galley pages (containing e.g. HTML or PDF fulltext) or issue table of contents pages?

See also this thread: OJS language identificator in url - #4 by ctgraham

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi all,

See also this related issue: Ensure that all languages are indexable by crawlers · Issue #699 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

How can I add language in the url on article detail page?
For example my aim is to add additional parameter only for non-primary locale (Ukrainian in our case). The problem is that there is no other way for Google to index it…

for example I want to change URL like: www.mysiteforourjournal.com/index.php/psp/article/view/32 to www.mysiteforourjournal.com/index.php/psp/article/view/uk/32 for secondary locale

Hi @Vitaliy,

I’ll follow up on the github entry linked above.

Regards,
Alec Smecher