[OJS3.1.0-1] CrossRef XML Export Plugin: No articles after »Reassign DOIs«

Hello @bozana, @asmecher ,

we moved our journal installation to a new ISP and upgraded to 3.1.0-1. Because now disable_path_info could be Off (that was not possible with our old ISP), all URLs in DOI had to be updated.

I went to DOI Plugin Settings and clicked »Reassign DOIs« and »Save«.

Now if I check »Tools > CrossRef XML Export Plugin: Articles«, there are no articles. I deactivated the DOI plugin and activated it again, but it doesn’t change a thing.

Could you please give me a clue, what to do?

Thanks
Tobias

Hi @twa

Ah, the “Reassign DOIs” function deletes all DOIs and in OJS 3.x they need to be assigned manually – they are not automatically assigned as in OJS 2.x :frowning:
So if possible, return the old DB/backup and DO NOT use that function “Reassign DOIs”, but just go to the Tools > Crossref XML Export plugin and deposit all the articles anew.
The DOI plugin is only for assigning the DOIs. Then the Crossref export/registration plugin takes care of the DOI deposit. When depositing a DOI all metadata are send to Crossref, also the URL. If any of metadata changes, you would only need to deposit that DOI again.
EDIT: Reassigning means assigning a totally new DOI to you object(s).

Best,
Bozana

1 Like

If it is not possible for you to return the DB/backup, you could use some SQL queries to insert the DOIs form the old DB into the new DB. Let me know if you would need any help on that…

1 Like

I thought about restoring the old DB, but hesitated … Okay, restored it. What do you mean by »deposit«? I have 4 Buttons »Submit«, »Check status«, »Download XML«, and »Mark active«.

If I click »Submit« or »Download XML«, I get an validation error:
»Failed to locate the main schema resource at ‘https://www.crossref.org/schemas/crossref4.3.6.xsd’.«

»Check« delivers no response, Status is still »Submitted«.

»Mark active« results in Status »Marked active«.

Thanks
Tobias

BTW: There should be a checkbox for selecting all articles in the list at once … Phew!

Hi @twa

Yes those are available actions when you choose to deposit/register your DOIs/articles manually i.e. when you did not enter your Crossref username and password in the Crossref plugin settings tab.
If you choose to deposit/register manually, you would need to download the XML file(s) and then upload it at the Crossref portal. Then, or first when that XML file is processed successfully by the Crossref, you could mark the articles with “Mark active”, so you know what articles/DOIs you have already deposited/registered.
When you enter the username and password in the plugin settings, you will see an additional button “Submit” that will allow you to submit the XML directly from OJS to the Crossref. Then it takes some time till it is processed by Crossref, but then (maybe next day or so) you could check the status for those articles/DOIs with “Check status”.

The validation error could happen when allow_url_fopen is disabled on your server. – For XML validation, the PHP method schemaValidate is used. It uses the function fopen to get the schema from the given URL. If allow_url_fopen is disabled, this will not work. Could you maybe double check that or deselect the validation option?

Best,
Bozana

1 Like

Yes, it’s disabled on the webserver. And in OJS’ »config.inc.php« it is »allow_url_fopen = Off«. So what’s better? Deselecting validation check or acitvating »allow_url_fopen« in php.ini?

Thanks
Tobias

Submitting without validation seems to work. (Validation is default behaviour.)

Hi @twa, the validation function would need the setting to be enabled at the server – because that PHP function requires it…

1 Like

Thank you very much for your help, bozana!