OJS version recognition

Hello,

we use OJS 3.1.0-1 (at least we assume it is installed). However, when we go to the settings page the following error message is shown on top of the page " Warning There is a new version of OJS available! You are currently using OJS 2.4.8.1. The most recent version is OJS 3.1.1.4. Please contact your Site Administrator to notify them of this new release. More information can be found here." What is wrong and may we have some additional problems we did not identify?

Hi @pnygren,

Nothing wrong. The page you are referring to just says that there is newer version available and reminds you that it would be good to upgrade to the latest one.

Regards, Primož

I understand that this is a message on the availability of a newer version. My question is: why does the message claim that we have OJS 2.4.8.1 although the latest upgrade we made is OJS 3.1.0-1? Is there something wrong with the installion if the system does not recognise the installed version correctly?

Hi @pnygren

Could you as admin i.e. your admin user go to the page Administration > System Information and see what is there as current version and how does the version history looks like? Maybe also to double check what is in the database table versions, where product = ‘ojs2’?

Best,
Bozana

It seems like it doesn’t see the update at all:

Current version: 2.4.8.1 (September 14, 2016 - 04:04 PM)

Check for updates

Version history

Version Major Minor Revision Build Date installed
2.4.8.1 2 4 8 1 2016-09-14
2.4.4.1 2 4 4 1 2014-09-18
2.4.3.0 2 4 3 0 2013-12-17
2.3.7.0 2 3 7 0 2012-04-30

and the versions table:

MariaDB [ojs]> select * from versions where product="ojs2";
+-------+-------+----------+-------+---------------------+---------+--------------+---------+--------------------+-----------+----------+
| major | minor | revision | build | date_installed      | current | product_type | product | product_class_name | lazy_load | sitewide |
+-------+-------+----------+-------+---------------------+---------+--------------+---------+--------------------+-----------+----------+
|     2 |     3 |        7 |     0 | 2012-04-30 08:46:45 |       0 | core         | ojs2    |                    |         0 |        1 |
|     2 |     4 |        3 |     0 | 2013-12-17 08:24:13 |       0 | core         | ojs2    |                    |         0 |        1 |
|     2 |     4 |        4 |     1 | 2014-09-18 12:07:21 |       0 | core         | ojs2    |                    |         0 |        1 |
|     2 |     4 |        8 |     1 | 2016-09-14 16:04:22 |       1 | core         | ojs2    |                    |         0 |        1 |

Hi @WaDelma,

The GUI is from OJS 3?
Yes, it seems like the update did not finish totally correctly :frowning:

Best,
Bozana

Yes. The GUI is from OJS 3 and we updated to 3.1 via 3.0 which both seemed to work fine.

Not sure what would have gone wrong as it didn’t give any errors when updating.

Have you encountered anything like this? Should we try to update to 3.1.1? Could there be anything else wrong besides that table? If not we could try manually add update information to it.

Hi @WaDelma

I am not 100% sure, but looking at the pkp-lib/Installer.inc.php at ojs-3_1_0-0 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub I think that after the upgrade scripts/actions defined in ojs/upgrade.xml at ojs-3_1_0-0 · pkp/ojs · GitHub the version in the DB is updated. (I assume you are using 3.1.0-0). Maybe you can check if all scripts/actions from that upgrade.xml are executed in your installation – e.g. to check the two last ones: if there is the e-mail key EDITOR_RECOMMENDATION in your DB/installation and if you have the default navigation items and menu. If so, then you could maybe try to add/insert the right entry/row in your DB table versions…
What version exactly are you using you can see in your file dbscripts/xml/version.xml.

Best,
Bozana

Run the following command from the OJS directory

php tools/upgrade.php check

…and you should see something like:

Code version:      3.2.1.3
Database version:  3.2.1.2
Latest version:    3.2.1.3
Database version is older than code version

Upgrading OJS Database

- Edit config.inc.php and change "installed = On" to "installed = Off"
- Run the following command from the OJS directory (not including the $): $ php tools/upgrade.php upgrade
- Re-edit config.inc.php and change "installed = Off" back to "installed = On"