OJS Role Permission

Description of issue or problem I’m having:

I have OJS 3.3.0.6 installed with two hosted journal, So, I hosted another journal (third), but during creating a user for journal manager for the last one, in the next step of creating user the list of role won’t show me any listed role, could say it’s blanked, so how figure out this issue.
Steps I took leading up to the issue:

What I tried to resolve the issue:

Application Version - e.g., OJS 3.1.2:

OJS 3.3.0.6
Additional information, such as screenshots and error log messages if applicable:

Hi @gfxroad,

Thanks for your post. Could you post a screenshot of the error you are seeing so I could get a better sense of the error you are seeing?

-Roger
PKP Team

Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 6.28.33 PM

Hi @gfxroad,

Thanks for this. I tested this out and didn’t get the same result. I was able to add users by going to Administration - Hosted Journals - Selecting the Journal -clicking “Users” underneath the journal name and then I can search for a user to add. When searching you have to select the “Include users with no roles in this journal.” option because the users will not have been added to your journal at this point. Once you search and identify a user, you should be able to edit them and assign them the role that you want to assign to them

Could you try that way and let me know how it goes?

Best regards,

-Roger
PKP Team

Thanks for your reply, I don’t have users yet, and assigning roles is the next step during creating new users. So I can’t create any users without roles.

Hi @gfxroad,

Sorry, I thought you might be trying to add users that already have user accounts in your other journals. If you go to Administration → Hosted Journals → under the journal click “Users” do you see a screen like this, with the ability to add users? When I tested it this way it worked for me :

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 10.48.53 AM

Best,

-Roger

For me, creating users are two progress steps, it mean, adding username, password and email followed by adding roles.

Hi @gfxroad,

I’m not sure I understand what you’re getting at in your last reply? Can you clarify?

-Roger
PKP Team

Hope these two image explain my issue:
Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 1.50.29 AM
Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 1.50.38 AM

Hi @gfxroad,

The first message indicates possibly that you don’t have journal manager role assigned for yourself in that journal. So you’d have to edit your profile and add the Journal Manager role for your own profile to give it Journal Manager privileges for this new journal that you’ve created. Not sure about the second error, but if you try adding the JM role first, it’s possible that you might not see the second error, so give that a try and see how it goes.

Best,

-Roger
PKP Team

Thanks @rcgillis for your help,
Here is the profile setting of new hosted journal, just showing the other two hosted journal roles.
Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 10.41.49 AM

Hi @gfxroad,

I think you’ll have to add the journal manager privileges under “Users” in the settings wizard (you’ll likely have to be a site admin to do this): Site Administration

You can search for your account under users, edit it, and try to add the JM role there - could you try that?

Best regards,

-Roger
PKP Team

Hi @rcgillis
I am an admin and I already JM of other two hosted journals in the same system. But this journal newly hosted, I don’t have users in the place you mentioned as noted in the post tree earlier. However I faced the warning dialog box “The current role does not have access to this operation.”.
Good to mentioned, the two journals were installed and managed in and account, but after transferring the whole system “store and database” to the new one we faced this issue.

Hi @gfxroad,

Another option to try potentially: can you go to “Users and Roles” - search for your user account, and ensure you check the “Include users with no roles in this journal.” from there if you see your account come up, edit it and go to the bottom and you should see something like this:

Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 8.30.30 AM

Check off the Journal Manager role and see if you can save it - that may give you journal manager privileges for this new journal.

Best regards,

Roger
PKP Team

@rcgillis Same issue.

Hi @gfxroad,

Hmmm… I’m not sure what is going on here - I’ve seen this issue before, and using the options I’ve described has taken care of it in the past. Do you have access to your PHP Error log and can check for relevant errors there? Sometimes that provides a clue as to what the issue is.

-Roger
PKP Team

Dear @rcgillis here the error log I found:
[19-Oct-2021 14:17:58 UTC] PHP Warning: xml_parser_create(): unsupported source encoding "utf8" in /home/ojsnew/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/xml/PKPXMLParser.inc.php on line 212

[19-Oct-2021 14:17:58 UTC] PHP Warning: xml_parser_set_option() expects parameter 1 to be resource, bool given in /home/ojsnew/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/xml/PKPXMLParser.inc.php on line 213

[19-Oct-2021 14:17:58 UTC] PHP Warning: xml_parser_set_option() expects parameter 1 to be resource, bool given in /home/ojsnew/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/xml/PKPXMLParser.inc.php on line 214

[19-Oct-2021 14:17:58 UTC] PHP Warning: xml_parse_into_struct() expects parameter 1 to be resource, bool given in /home/ojsnew/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/xml/PKPXMLParser.inc.php on line 163

[19-Oct-2021 14:17:58 UTC] PHP Warning: xml_parser_free() expects parameter 1 to be resource, bool given in /home/ojsnew/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/xml/PKPXMLParser.inc.php on line 223

[19-Oct-2021 14:20:40 UTC] PHP Warning: xml_parser_create(): unsupported source encoding "utf8" in /home/ojsnew/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/xml/PKPXMLParser.inc.php on line 212

[19-Oct-2021 14:20:40 UTC] PHP Warning: xml_parser_set_option() expects parameter 1 to be resource, bool given in /home/ojsnew/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/xml/PKPXMLParser.inc.php on line 213

[19-Oct-2021 14:20:40 UTC] PHP Warning: xml_parser_set_option() expects parameter 1 to be resource, bool given in /home/ojsnew/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/xml/PKPXMLParser.inc.php on line 214

[19-Oct-2021 14:20:40 UTC] PHP Warning: xml_parse_into_struct() expects parameter 1 to be resource, bool given in /home/ojsnew/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/xml/PKPXMLParser.inc.php on line 163

[19-Oct-2021 14:20:40 UTC] PHP Warning: xml_parser_free() expects parameter 1 to be resource, bool given in /home/ojsnew/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/xml/PKPXMLParser.inc.php on line 223

[19-Oct-2021 14:26:07 UTC] PHP Warning: xml_parser_create(): unsupported source encoding "utf8" in /home/ojsnew/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/xml/PKPXMLParser.inc.php on line 212

[19-Oct-2021 14:26:07 UTC] PHP Warning: xml_parser_set_option() expects parameter 1 to be resource, bool given in /home/ojsnew/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/xml/PKPXMLParser.inc.php on line 213

[19-Oct-2021 14:26:07 UTC] PHP Warning: xml_parser_set_option() expects parameter 1 to be resource, bool given in /home/ojsnew/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/xml/PKPXMLParser.inc.php on line 214

[19-Oct-2021 14:26:07 UTC] PHP Warning: xml_parse_into_struct() expects parameter 1 to be resource, bool given in /home/ojsnew/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/xml/PKPXMLParser.inc.php on line 163

[19-Oct-2021 14:26:07 UTC] PHP Warning: xml_parser_free() expects parameter 1 to be resource, bool given in /home/ojsnew/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/xml/PKPXMLParser.inc.php on line 223

[19-Oct-2021 14:26:14 UTC] PHP Warning: xml_parser_create(): unsupported source encoding "utf8" in /home/ojsnew/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/xml/PKPXMLParser.inc.php on line 212

[19-Oct-2021 14:26:14 UTC] PHP Warning: xml_parser_set_option() expects parameter 1 to be resource, bool given in /home/ojsnew/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/xml/PKPXMLParser.inc.php on line 213

[19-Oct-2021 14:26:14 UTC] PHP Warning: xml_parser_set_option() expects parameter 1 to be resource, bool given in /home/ojsnew/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/xml/PKPXMLParser.inc.php on line 214

[19-Oct-2021 14:26:14 UTC] PHP Warning: xml_parse_into_struct() expects parameter 1 to be resource, bool given in /home/ojsnew/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/xml/PKPXMLParser.inc.php on line 163

[19-Oct-2021 14:26:14 UTC] PHP Warning: xml_parser_free() expects parameter 1 to be resource, bool given in /home/ojsnew/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/xml/PKPXMLParser.inc.php on line 223

[19-Oct-2021 14:26:24 UTC] PHP Warning: xml_parser_create(): unsupported source encoding "utf8" in /home/ojsnew/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/xml/PKPXMLParser.inc.php on line 212

[19-Oct-2021 14:26:24 UTC] PHP Warning: xml_parser_set_option() expects parameter 1 to be resource, bool given in /home/ojsnew/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/xml/PKPXMLParser.inc.php on line 213

[19-Oct-2021 14:26:24 UTC] PHP Warning: xml_parser_set_option() expects parameter 1 to be resource, bool given in /home/ojsnew/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/xml/PKPXMLParser.inc.php on line 214

[19-Oct-2021 14:26:24 UTC] PHP Warning: xml_parse_into_struct() expects parameter 1 to be resource, bool given in /home/ojsnew/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/xml/PKPXMLParser.inc.php on line 163

[19-Oct-2021 14:26:24 UTC] PHP Warning: xml_parser_free() expects parameter 1 to be resource, bool given in /home/ojsnew/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/xml/PKPXMLParser.inc.php on line 223

[19-Oct-2021 14:26:24 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function getCurrent() on null in /home/ojsnew/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/site/VersionDAO.inc.php:103

Stack trace:

#0 /home/ojsnew/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/controllers/grid/plugins/PluginGridHandler.inc.php(184): VersionDAO->insertVersion(NULL, true)

#1 /home/ojsnew/public_html/controllers/grid/settings/plugins/SettingsPluginGridHandler.inc.php(36): PluginGridHandler->loadCategoryData(Object(Request), ‘reports’, Array)

#2 /home/ojsnew/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/controllers/grid/CategoryGridHandler.inc.php(124): SettingsPluginGridHandler->loadCategoryData(Object(Request), ‘reports’, Array)

#3 /home/ojsnew/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/controllers/grid/CategoryGridHandler.inc.php(473): CategoryGridHandler->getGridCategoryDataElements(Object(Request), ‘reports’)

#4 /home/ojsnew/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/controllers/grid/CategoryGridHandler.inc.php(453): CategoryGridHandler->_renderCategoryInternally(Object(Request), Object(PluginCategoryGridRow))

#5 /home/ojsnew in /home/ojsnew/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/site/VersionDAO.inc.php on line 103

Already I have two journals, but after transferring the whole site (store and database) to another cPanel it’s easy to create third one, but can’t created users for it. When I go to Settings wizard on the new journal recently created I got this dialogue box message “The current role does not have access to this operation.” and this “undefined”. Let you know I am an admin of this website.
I used OJS 3.3.0.6, PHP version 7.3.31