OJS Mac Installation

I am a newbie to database management and unix/linux installations. Recently, I have been trying to install the OJS on my Macbook Pro. I have successfully installed PostgreSQL, but now I don’t know how to install the rest of the package. I don’t know whether I need to install the OJS inside the PostgreSQL account or in the same account (Admin) from where I installed the Database software (PostgreSQL). and how to install the OJS package.
I will appreciate if some one can send me the step by step documentation necessary for the installation.

Thanks

Hi @rbhat,

Have you installed a web server such as Apache?

What is your goal with this installation – just to explore OJS a little bit?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi Alec,
No, I have not installed anything else, I believe Apache is already
installed in Mac OS X.
I am trying to explore the possibility of hosting the sever for a online
journal.

Thanks,

Rakesh

Hi @rbhat,

I would suggest trying MAMP, which contains all the server software necessary in a single bundle. Alternately, if you just want to test OJS, then you could try our testdrive installation; see https://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/docs/userguide/2.3.1/overviewTestDrive.html for details.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi Alec,
Thanks for the initial inputs, I have installed the MAMP, now how do i Install and setup OJS?

Thanks.

Rakesh

Hi @rbhat,

Follow the installation instructions in the OJS package in docs/README, and if you get stuck on any particular element, search the forums and post here if you can’t find an answer already posted.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I have been getting following error:
ERRORS OCCURRED DURING INSTALLATION: A database error has occurred: Access denied for user ‘’@‘localhost’ to database ‘ojs’
I tried to search on the forum as well as googling but got nothing which was helpful.

Appreciate the help.

Best,

Rakesh

Hi @rbhat,

That error message is coming from MySQL, indicating that it doesn’t accept the database credentials you gave OJS on the installation form. Make sure you’ve executed the right GRANT statement when creating the database.

Regards,
Alec Smecher