OJS: log-in problem after upgrade to 2.4.7-1

Many thanks, Alec,
Just now I saw OJS 2.4.8. Can I directly do a upgrade from 2.4.6 (using my backup-ed folder), skipping restoring 2.4.7-1?
Best, GR.

Hi @liugr,

Do you have a backup of your database? Note that this doesn’t live in your OJS folder. If so, then yes, you can upgrade directly to 2.4.8.

Hi @Adam,

Can you follow the same instructions I gave above?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Thanks, Alec,
Do you mean the database in mysql? Not the files_dir folders, right. just want to confirm.
Best, GR.

Hi @liugr,

Yes, the database in MySQL.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi Alec -

To do that I’d have to re-install 2.7.1, since I uninstalled everything, including the databases. I don’t mind doing that, but would it make more sense to install 2.8?

Thanks!

Adam

Hi @Adam,

Yes, go ahead with OJS 2.4.8. I suspect you’re encountering a different problem than the upgrade issue, probably related to cookies, but let’s see if it repeats with a new install.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi Alec -

Hmmm . . . cookies - that’s interesting, why would a cookie in effect disable normal login functionality? And it happened in both Chrome and IE. Specifically what cookie or cookies should I look for?

Anyway I’ll install 2.4.8 and let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

Adam

Hi @Adam,

The best (quick) way to check is by changing the session_cookie_name setting in config.inc.php (to anything else) and trying to log in again. There are many things that could be happening here, but OTOH a likely one is that you’ve got two cookies with the same name but different paths. In that case one could be clobbering the other.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi Alec -

I did the 2.4.8 install, OJS reported that it was successful. When I clicked Login, it went to a 404 page:

The first time I got an “unsafe” warning - presumably from my antivirus program, saying something like bio4climate (my organization URL) couldn’t be confirmed as bluehost.com (my webhost).

Did I not set everything up correctly? The bad path is “https://bio4climate.org/ojs/ojs-2.4.8/index.php/index/login

Thanks!

Adam

Hi @Adam,

It looks like you don’t have https hosting set up for your site. Either configure https hosting so that it points to OJS, or disable the force_login_ssl option in config.inc.php.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Dear Alec,
I did the restoring ojs2.4.7-1 from the backed-up ojs2.4…6. This time I did it very carefully and successfully, I did not see any error. I also applied the patch, and it becomes ojs2.4.8. However, the exact same problem persists: I still cannot login as the OJS administrator. I tried login as users from a test account that I created long time ago. I can log in. I checked the lib/pkp/xml/schema/common.xml, and the password column stays the same:

What should I do now?

The only thing that puzzled me in the upgrading process is the “Stats Migration” section in the README installation guide. Because the operation is done in the “base” directory, the GeoLiteCity.dat cannot be directly moved to the plugins/generic/usageStats, as in the guide. Because the “plugins/generic/usageStats” is in the OJS directory (one level down). Do I miss something here?

Best, GR

Thanks, Alec - I’m in. We don’t have an SSL certificate at the moment so I just disabled force_login_ssl for now. We’ll see how it goes over the next few days, I’ll keep you posted.

Best,

Adam

Hi @liugr,

When you say…

I checked the lib/pkp/xml/schema/common.xml, and the password column stays the same

…do you mean that the password column is still listed as length 40?

I wonder if the patch is not applying correctly. Rather than using the patch, can you try using the “full package” upgrade process described in docs/UPGRADE?

Perhaps @beghelli can comment on the statistics part.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi Alec -

One suggestion - it might help those of us less skilled at back end tasks if you would add to the README file a caution about turning on “force_login_ssl.” Something along the lines of needing to buy an SSL certificate for your site first - otherwise leave it turned off. It could also help to return a useful error message (I know, newbie users can find errors that no one could have imagined possible).

All in your spare time, of course!

So far I’m still able to login. Thanks again for all your help!

Adam

HI Alec,

I have same situation and found this topic. Here-under is my situation of the same problem:

I just upgraded my installation from 2.4.4.1 to 2.4.8 using Full Package upgrade. As I remembered the database upgrade was OK and I manage to view the User Home. After I logged-out I could not login anymore using the same credentials as Admin with below error message:

“Invalid username or password. Please try again.”.

Some user manage to logged-in but some user from different journal can not. User who can not login tried to reset forgot password but the link sent by email its session always expired.

I tried to change the admin password directly to database using below query

UPDATE users SET password=SHA1(CONCAT(username, 'newPasswordHere')) WHERE user_id = 1;

It works but after logout and re login problem still remains

I have tried rename the session_cookie_name = OJSSID to OJSSID2 but problem still remains. Reading the above discussion I check at lib/pkp/xml/schema/common.xml I found the definition like this below:

<field name="password" type="C2" size="40">

Is there any solution you might point me to?

Best wishes,
Romy

Hi @reprabowo,

The “full package upgrade” process should result in a codebase that’s at version 2.4.8. The line you quote (40-character password) is not from the 2.4.8 codebase, so somehow you’ve managed to mix two versions of OJS – presumably 2.4.7-1 and 2.4.8. I’d suggest checking your upgrade process against the instructions in detail to see where this might’ve happened. You may be able to resolve this issue by just extending the password column to 255 characters rather than 40, but if your codebase is mixed in other aspects, you’ll likely have other confusing problems.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Many thanks Alec

If I would like repeat the upgrade process, should I use the 2.4.4.1 database version backup or using the existing?

Romy

Hi @reprabowo,

I would recommend going back to the 2.4.4-1 version, to avoid complicating things.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Dear Alec

I successfully re-upgraded from initial state 2.4.4.1 and the login problem gone. Problematic full package upgrade I made earlier I think caused by overwriting the 2.4.4.1 with 2.4.8 instead of clean copy the newer version. Thank you.

Best wishes,
Romy

Hi @reprabowo,

Great, glad to hear it’s working!

Regards,
Alec Smecher

1 Like