OJS: How to disable email when the author makes a new submission?

HI,

Is there any way to disable email sending when an author makes a new submission? Our magazine doesn’t require this functionality.

Thank you.

Hi @lopezcasique,

Go to Journal Management > Prepared Emails; find the SUBMISSION_ACK email; and disable it.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Thank you @asmecher,

We disable this option but the messages were sent, do you have anything documented about it?

Hi @lopezcasique,

What version of OJS are you using?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

@asmecher

We’re using OJS 2.4.6

Thank you !

Hi @lopezcasique,

Can you attach a screenshot of the SUBMISSION_ACK row in the “Prepared Emails” interface?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

Sure,

Hi @lopezcasique,

That looks correct – unfortunately I can’t duplicate the problem here. I tested a submission with the SUBMISSION_ACK email disabled and the notification was not sent, as expected. Are you sure you’re looking at the Prepared Emails interface for the correct journal, and that you don’t have something else like a testing installation hanging around?

The code responsible for checking whether the email is enabled before sending is here:

Regards,
Alec Smecher

@asmecher,

Yes, I’m sure. We’re working in the production installation, we don’t have another installation. Any another ideas?

Hi @lopezcasique,

What I would do is try adding a line like this inside the if ($mail->isEnabled()) { branch:

error_log('Sending a message.');
error_log(print_r($mail, true));

Then run through the submission process, watch for the email, and check to see that the log entry appears at the same time as the email was sent. This will dump information about the email template to the log as well.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

1. I added the code:
  2. I send a new submission
  3. This is the log:

Hi @lopezcasique,

Did you receive the confirmation message? It doesn’t appear from the log as though it was sent.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

@asmecher,

Yes, here’s the notification (17:44):

And the log has the same hour (17:44):

@lopezcasique, it looks like your server has different logs for access vs. for errors. Your log sample looks like a standard access log; look for a separate error log with the relevant messages.