OJS [3.3.0.3] Crossref Reference Linking question

Hi, for @bozana, I downloaded the new version of the plugin:

I report that it does not recognize that references are enabled, and with the new version of the software a published article can no longer be edited, how do I extract DOIs from references?
thank you!

Bye
Tiziano

1 Like

Hi @Tiziano

When you say that the plugin does not recognize that references are enabled, I assume that you see the message “Submission references metadata must be enabled: [Submission Metadata Settings]” in the plugin settings, right?
Could you please check if there is the setting_name = ‘citations’ in your database table journal_settings and its setting_value = ‘enable’?

And regarding the reference DOI extraction: You would like to use the Crossref Reference Linking and find the reference DOIs for articles that are already published, correct? Do those articles already have DOIs (and are registered with the Crossref)? Do they already have references (entered in the reference metadata field)? Or would you now like to add the references into that metadata field but you can not edit it?

Thanks!
Bozana

Hi @bozana,
Exactly! I mean that the plugin does not recognize that references are enabled, I assume you see the message “Submission references metadata must be enabled”.

I have checked what you have suggested and I attach the screen of the table, there is not as a value “Enable” but “Require”.

Schermata 2021-03-24 alle 09.14.39

Yes, I would like to use Crossref Reference Linking to find reference DOIs for articles already published, the articles already have DOIs and are registered in Crossref and already have references (entered in the reference metadata field).

I attach the screen how I see the “reference” field:

Schermata 2021-03-24 alle 09.24.23

Thanks for your support.
Bye
Tiziano

Hi @bozana,
I tried to change the setting value to “Enable” and now the words “Submission references metadata must be enabled” are gone and the words “You’re all set up!” appear.
After that I went to the CrossRef XML Export Plugin and deposited the DOIs to have the references processed and it shows me this error:

Schermata 2021-03-24 alle 09.30.05

Hi @Tiziano

Do you have the latest 3.3.0-4 installed – that is the requirement for the plugin – it contains that method required.
(When you installed 3.3.0-4 then the plugin is also available via the plugin gallery.)

Regarding the reference DOIs: Yes, that would be the way to go: You would need to re-deposit the articles DOIs. Now, when using the Crossref Reference Linking plugin, also the article references will be deposited.
Then the found reference DOIs will be automatically checked and saved by the plugin – this requires the Acron plugin to be enabled (or a cron job that will run the Crossref Reference Linking plugin scheduled task should be set up) – please double check that.
Also, after you have installed the Crossref Reference Linking plugin you will probably need to use the function “Reload Scheduled Tasks” of the Acron plugin (available for the admin user on the plugins listing page, after clicking on the arrow associated with the Acron plugin), so that the Acron plugin knows that there is a new scheduled task that should be considered.
When all this is there, the Crossref Reference Linking plugin will automatically check if any reference DOIs are found by the Crossref (for the (re-)deposited articles) and will save them in the DB in that case. The found and saved DOIs will then automatically be displayed on the article page.

I would suggest that you first start with only one article (maybe one that you know its reference has DOI) and when everything OK, then proceed with others. This way it will be easier to detect problems, if any occurs first.

Best,
Bozana

1 Like

Hi @bozana, thanks! I will follow your directions, I will update you when I am done.

Bye
Tiziano

Hi @bozana, I did everything you suggested to do and confirm that it works, the articles I re-processed via CrossRef XML Export Plugin displayed their DOIs in the references.
Just to make sure I got it right, just put in the article’s metadata its references, publish it and then deposit it to crossref, via CrossRef XML Export Plugin, when it has processed it will display the DOIs immediately, or do you have to deposit it twice?

Thanks for your support
Bye
Tiziano

Hi @Tiziano
:tada:
Yes, that is the correct way. You do not have to deposit it twice.

Best,
Bozana

1 Like

Hi @bozana, thanks for the clarification, we will do some tests.
in the meantime I realized that, as you pointed out in the previous posts, if in the journal_settings table the value of setting_value is “enable” in the setting of Crossref Reference Linking plugin is correctly displayed “You’re all set up!”, but having the requirement that references are required when an author submits a work, in Workflow Settings → Metadata → References

Schermata 2021-03-26 alle 13.37.01

changing from “Do not request references from the author during submission.” to “Require the author to provide references before accepting their submission.” the Crossref Reference Linking plugin still shows “Submission references metadata must be enabled”.

Hi @Tiziano

Oh, great catch! Thanks, I will take a look and post a fix…

Thanks!
Bozana

1 Like

Hi @Tiziano

I updated the plugin – it can be updated it via the plugin gallery. Now all the options should be recognized correctly…

Thanks!
Bozana

1 Like

Thanks @bozana! It’s works.

Bye
Tiziano