[OJS 3.2.1.1] - Manager Editor and Reviewer issue

Hi everyone,
[Apologies for my error in posting. This is a post transferred here to differentiate it with regards to the version.]

We have just encountered the same issue as previously posted here.
Our OJS version is 3.2.1.1 as mentioned.

We have noticed that when logging in as the Journal editor, who has all the roles allowed, and moving the cursor on the submission, the bottom left-hand side shows a link to …/reviewer/submission/3
instead of …/workflow/access/3.

The solution with the direct link works as suggested here, however, is there a permanent fix?
If not, is there a way to fix this via the database?

Thanks!

Hi @astro,

Could you share a screenshot of where this is happening and provide full examples of the two URLs you mention?

Thanks!

Regards,

Erik
PKP Team

Hi Erik,

Please find here the screenshots with annotations. Hope this helps.

The journal manager/editor (person 1) had assigned himself be a reviewer, and then declined to review in Round 1.
As can be seen in the image, if person 1 logs in, they can only see the review link, and not the workflow link.

pkpissue_screen1

If a different journal manager/editor (person 2) logs in, and accesses the submission, they are provided with the editorial workflow link, as can be seen in the below image
pkpissue_screen2

Using the direct link to the workflow “https://www.journalname/index.php/journal/workflow/access/3”, person 1 can access the editorial workflow, but not through the OJS user interface.

Things tried:

• I have tried cancelling person 1 as a reviewer through the OJS interface, but that did not work
  • I’m assuming in the database, person 1, is still listed as reviewer for that submission, and so they cannot access the workflow link? But I haven’t found how this connection is created in the database. I could be wrong.

A short-term solution, that I have not tried:

• I am guessing that person 2, can add person 1 as reviewer in a New Review round, and that would grant person 1 access again.

Is there another solution e.g.: via the database?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @astro,

Thanks for providing the additional details. There is definitely a bug here. When a user with journal manager/editor privileges is assigned as a reviewer, they have the option to view the submission with the reviewer view and the editorial workflow.
Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 8.29.59 PM
But this is not the case if the user has declined to review the submission.

As a temporary fix, you can modify this status in the database to “undo” the declined status for that user.

This can be found in the review_assignments table in the database. You can set the declined column for the user/submission in question to 0 and the user will again have access to both the editorial workflow and the reviewer workflow.

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Erik
PKP Team

Hi Erik,

Perfect! Works like a charm!

Many, many thanks!