OJS 3.1 HTML galley not working in iOS

As I know this should be already implemented (I’m about the support for attached to HTML images).

If you have any problems with it, I propose opening a new issue and wait for the reply of someone from PKP team. Also, point there your OJS version and explain the problem in details.

@Tiziano I wrote this blog post while ago when I tried to figure out images inside of OJS.

http://blog.johannespernaa.fi/post/how-to-add-figures-into-ojs-html-galley

@johannespernaa the difference between these examples and my case is that I am viewing an XML file with the plug provided by OJS3, and I’m trying to understand why I don’t see the images using the method described above, the load but don’t see them.

If you mean lensGalley plugin then it could be that you are using a version that does not support embedded images. The support was added last November. Try installing the latest version here: GitHub - asmecher/lensGalley: Galley viewer plugin integrating eLife Lens for OJS 3.0

I have an own modified version that supports them as well, but do not know how it works with the latest OJS version. Our installation does not need it that much so I have not paid much attention to it. GitHub - ajnyga/lensGalley: Galley viewer plugin integrating eLife Lens for OJS 3.0: fork using the latest develop branch of Lens And in any case I think that the plugin that @Vitaliy has made for JATS XML is a lot better than the lens plugin.

Thanks for such evaluation of the JATS Parser :slight_smile:
For now, it is available as part of the OldGregg theme. It can be inserted in any other theme, but this requires some PHP knowledge.
Actually, I can make the same thing as with Lens Viewer - make a rendering of the XML file on a separate page to use with any theme. I am thinking about it because I’m planning to extend JATS Parser functionality for producing not only HTML but PDF too. Think, this feature can be found useful by other publishers.

2 Likes

@ajnyga thanks for your help, i will try these lensGalley versions. I don’t know why but in my case the JATS XML plugin has never worked, when I install it I can’t enable it because it doesn’t load the admin area plugin list.

That is a good idea because that way you also get the download stats. We only have one journal using XML now and they use the embedGalley plugin I made last spring. But when I have more time I will probably switch to using your plugin.

Try especially Alec Smechers version, that is the “official” one.

@Tiziano
You can’t load JATS Parser as a plugin because it doesn’t exist yet. It is incorporated into OldGregg Theme. All other versions on my GitHub’s page are experimental and can be used only by those who know programming.

HI @Vitaliy and @ajnyga, I tried the lensGalley plugin suggested by ajnyga but it doesn’t work, the images don’t appear, good idea to use the embedGalley plugin, do you have suggestions how to customize it?

In addition makes me this joke, I do not appear references:

Hi @Tiziano,
I have been using lensGalley by @ajnyga and it works fine. It supports images uploaded along with galley file. Here is an example.

https://jlmc.edu.np/index.php/JLMC/article/view/183/188

However, it requires JATS XML. And, if you create JATS XML, you can use oldGregg theme by @Vitaliy. Here is how it appears with oldGregg:

https://jlmc.edu.np/index.php/JLMC/article/view/183

Its up to you what you like, but all of them work.

I had tried embedGalley plugin but I faced some problem so did not use it.

Hope this experience helps you.

Best regards,

Hi @anupent! Thank you for your suggestions but I wouldn’t like to change themes to make this plugin work. I would prefer to try to find a solution with the available stuments.

1 Like

Hi,

The embedGalley plugin uses a custom xsl stylesheet that converts the xml to html. Not sure why your references are not working. Probably the reason is in the way the references are coded in the xml, I think they should be element-citations. But the output can be edited just by changing the xsl files in the plugin.

Regarding the images in the file, hard to say why they are not working for you. The technique is the same for both html and xml files. You just use href="image1.jpg" and upload a file with the same name as a artwork file to the galley.

hello, I wonder where we stand with the ios issue - viewing html’s on iphones, I encountered the issue when testing my journal and it seems still to be a problem. Also the suggested fix above doesn’t work for me. Please let me know whether - there is an accepted fix for the problem and what people are doing to address it. I think it is quite relevant as people will want to use their iphones to read articles.
Many Thanks !
Konrad

This is what our journals use: GitHub - ajnyga/embedHtmlArticleGalley

It is a htmlGalley plugin that does not use iframes. Note that it is currently not working with 3.1.2

ok thanks I will check it out

Hi there, did you do anything special to upload this plugin - it doesn’t seem to work with zip or tar.gz - have also renamed the folder inside the compressed file to remove the master part.

is it visible in the plugins listing?

Did you enable this plugin and disable the default htmlGalley plugin (you can not use both at the same time)

I only have the HTML Article Galley plugin - I guess that’s the default. That’s why I wanted to upload the embedHTML as you suggested. The upload doesn’t work however.

Hi @ajnyga I have the plugin now installed and activated but get 500 error when accessing the article page. Do I need to do anything else apart from activating the plugin? I am using an html file and added style sheet.