OJS 3.1 - Author must upload file submission

hello there,

problem : author can jump to step 3. Enter Metadata without file submission

request : is there a way , to make author must upload file submission first (Step 2), after that he/she can continue to the next step (Step 3)

ojs

Hello,

Has anyone done this before?

Best,
Ali

Hi @alirezaaa,

We are rewriting the file upload wizard for release in OJS/OMP/OPS 3.3 (due this winter), and you should see something like what you’re proposing there.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

@asmecher It’s currently possible to make a submission with no files and I wasn’t planning on changing that. I suspect that we have some people using it that way – I believe Atla only asks for a book abstract with the initial submission and requests files once it’s been decided to send it for review.

Do you think we need an option that allows a journal/press to be configured to require a file?

Hi @NateWr/all,

Ah, I read this too quickly – I thought the issue was the file metadata rather than the entire file upload. I haven’t yet seen enough demand for a checkbox requiring or leaving optional a file upload during submission.

@alirezaaa, do you know why authors are attempting to upload submissions without files?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hello @asmecher,

In our case it is about submitting ALL required files and not submissions without files.

Authors are asked to submit more than just the manuscript file. For example, “cover letter”, “signed copyright form” and “title page” files are required in different journals.

Currently, the editor should check this after the a manuscript is submitted and either reject the article or ask for the missing files.

Best,
Ali

1 Like

I’m not aware of any existing feature or plugin to restrict submissions based on what submission file components have been uploaded. It will probably require the development of a custom plugin.