[OJS 3.1.2.4] Use first name instead of full name in email templates

Hi,
I have a request from our journal’s editors to edit some of the most common email templates.
We are running OJS 3.1.2.4.

I want to use only first name instead of the full name of the recipient (authors, reviewers, etc). So this applies not to a specific email template, but more generally to templated messages.

I wonder if there is a relatively simle way to substitute the variables {$authorName},{$reviewerName} with something like {$firstName}?

Is there a relatively simple way to do this?

bump

• No one who knows if this is possible?

Hi @Anders_H,

Thanks for bumping this topic up. I did a bit of research on this and I don’t believe there is an email variable that just pulls the users’ first name.

@asmecher - could you confirm otherwise?

Kind Regards,
Patricia M.
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi all,

Unfortunately this isn’t currently available…

• The {$authorName} variable contains potentially several names, so it wouldn’t make sense to add a {$firstName} / {$lastName} variable.
  • The {$reviewerName} variable (when available) does refer to a single user, so it would be possible to expand this to include {$reviewerGivenName} and {$reviewerFamilyName}. However, I’m hesitant to do this because each form of the name may be available in several languages, and the family name is optional. Personal names around the world [W3C] has some good advice/guidelines about this.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

1 Like