[OJS 3.1.2-1] Export users by role

Hi all:

We need to export users using Users XML Plugin from platform but by role. I don’t found the option to do that. Only, I can select one by one or all users.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Diego

Hi @madileweb,

Could you kindly confirm which version of OJS you’re currently using?

Kind Regards,
Patricia M.
Public Knowledge Project Intern

Hi @pmangahis

We’re using OJS 3.1.2-1.

Regards,
Diego

Hi @madileweb,

Have you tried running a search of the roles you would like to export while in the User XML Plugin? If you leave the search bar blank and select the role you’re looking to export, this should return a list of users with these roles (as shown below)

Kind Regards,
Patricia M.
Public Knowledge Project Intern

Yes, I did but We have more than 1000 reviewers and We can’t select one by one. There’s no option for select all listed, that’s what I have seen at least.

Hi @pmangahis,

Could you check what I told you?

Regards,
Diego

1 Like

Hi @madileweb,

I do apologize for the delay in response. You are correct that there you would have to select each user one by one. I have asked my colleague to look into adding in a ‘Select All’ feature for exporting by users.
The other way to export users by role would be to do it directly from the database if they have access to it.

Kind Regards,
Patricia M.
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @pmangahis,

It would be convenient to have the option to download the list of users by user type. At the moment we resolved it as you comment by making a query on the datebase.
Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Diego

Is there a different format of user export available? xml appears to be the only one, but it is not the easiest.
Lucia

Hello @lsteele,

Sorry for nobody responding… you may have found a solution already, but I believe OpenOffice/LibreOffice is able to import OJS’s XML format properly.

What should be implemented though is the export by role. This was available in previous versions and should have been implemented in first OJS 3 versions… certain features that existed must be implemented quickly.

Hello @asmecher, @NateWr, @ctgraham,

Sorry to bump this thread, I know it’s a bit old, but I think this issue needs to be resolved and I don’t think it has. If you wish, I’ll create a new one.

OJS does a good job preventing typing invalid URLs, but if imported data is not correct, then, when exporting, this causes trouble.

When exporting users, if a wrong URL is typed within the field, users are not exported.
However, the error message means something completely different.

This error message happens when exporting all users.
[Thu Aug 27 11:42:53.577385 2020] [php7:error] [pid 226929] [client 192.168.0.240:60598] PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 60 seconds exceeded in /var/www/revista.ibict.br/lib/pkp/plugins/importexport/native/filter/NativeExportFilter.inc.php on line 89, referer: http://revista.ibict.br/ciinf/management/importexport/plugin/UserImportExportPlugin
`

When exporting just one, this is the error message:

Could not convert users.

On another note, but also related, the fields for URL, phone and ORCID are WAY TOO SMALL on screen!!!
They could be vertically positioned for improved readability. URLs today are very long and small fields prevent us from checking properly.

Hi Ramon,
thank you for your reply. I have unfortunately no access to Open Office, only have the Office suite or Mac numbers. It is strange that nobody sort of needs this feature… I hope it will be implemented very soon.
Take care,
Lucia

1 Like

I would love for these reports to be HTML tables, or a json file.
It would be easier to program with Javascript to manipulate the data…

1 Like

Also voting for that feature (i.e. export users in csv format)

That being said, this online converter did a great job in converting my users list : https://conversiontools.io/convert/xml-to-excel (there is also a https://conversiontools.io/convert/xml-to-csv but I didn’t try it). You just have to remove extra columns afterwards (since xml is structured/hierarchical and csv is flat).

Hello Marie-Helene. I will certainly explore the resources you mention… sounds interesting!
Thank you for the time to share: very very appreciated…!
Lucia

1 Like