OJS 3.1.1.2: Validate email account error messages

Hello,

My apologies for posting here a lot but we are still wading through the 2.4.8 to 3.1.1.2 upgrade and are grateful for this community’s support. Here goes the latest:

We’ve enabled Email Registration to our OJS instances and recently added ReCaptcha. While it’s unclear if these are related, following adding ReCaptcha we started receiving hundreds of bounced emails titled “Validate Your Account”. We’ve investigated a number of the email addresses and found that they are being generated whether or not the user has successfully completed registration. I’m reluctant to include the full text of the message for security reasons but have tried to include some of the basic elements with dummy/redacted info. I could email a copy of this to a PKP developer if needed. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Tara

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

[name@emailaddress.com](https://www.mail.ubc.ca/owa/ojs.support@ubc.c C a/redir.aspx?=[…]…&URL=mailto%3aname@emailaddress.com)
A communication failure occurred during the delivery of this message. Please try to resend the message later. If the problem continues, contact your helpdesk.

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: [REDACTED]

[name@emailaddress.com]
#< #4.4.3 X-Email-Security-Appliance; Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=emailaddress.com type=MX: Host not found, try again> #SMTP#

[…]

Hi @tkstephe

It seems a issue regarding an external cause rather than OJS. Checking your log message there is a domain ubc.ca with a redir.aspx (which is not OJS programming language).

Also, there is a test domain in your log:

I would start troubleshooting on it.

Regards,
Israel Cefrin
Public Knowledge Project Team