[OJS 3.1.1.2] Adding extra sub menus to navigation menu

Hi team,

I can see on the navigation menus that it is possible to add a drop down sub menu to the core menu. Is it possible at all to add another sub menu to the drop down? So for example you could have ‘About’>‘Governing Structure’>‘Editorial Board’, instead of just ‘About’>‘Governing Structure’ if you wanted?

Kind regards,
Rebecca

Hello @rebeccauoe,

This might be feasible. What version of OJS are you using?

Regards,

Roger
PKP support

Hi Roger,

I’m using 3.1.1.2 at the moment. Thank you!

Rebecca

Hi @rebeccauoe
I make some trials to get second and third level menus. I also looked in database menu tables, but couldn’t find a way to get second level menu.
I could generate either a single main menu, or a single level menu with multiple items (screenshot)
Perhaps, a more experienced one may show us a way to get it.
Regards,

Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 17.40.52

Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 17.22.05

1 Like

Hi @rebeccauoe,

I’m not sure that the menus will go fully to that level. You may want to check out our documentation to get a better sense of how the navigation menus work: Chapter 6: Website Settings

-Roger

1 Like

Thanks for this! A third level menu would be ideal. Maybe they will roll it out!

Rebecca

Thanks Roger. It would be useful to have a third level menu. Might this be something PKP will consider implementing for the future?

Rebecca

Hi @rebeccauoe,

Possibly? Our development team would have to consider this further. I can flag this as a feature request for their consideration. You could also file an “Issue” on our Github repository here: GitHub - pkp/pkp-lib: PKP Web Application Library, if you’d like, and our developers would assess further.

-Roger

1 Like

Hi Roger,

That would be great! I’ve posted on GitHub. Thank you again for your help.

Rebecca

Hi all,
Thank you for your kind support.
I don’t want the picture I uploaded to mislead you.
Currently, all we can get is a single level menu with multiple items in frontend (screenshot)
Although it is not a priority need for me, I also wish it like other users.
Best regards,
Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 18.06.22

Hi everyone, I’m just catching up to this discussion after replying to the issue Rebecca filed on GitHub. I wanted to copy that over here so everyone saw it:

The decision to limit it to two levels was taken because cascading or dropdown menus with more than two levels are difficult to use. This is especially true for anyone who has impaired motor functions.

One way to deal with this is to use a megamenu instead. But almost all of our users have no more than a dozen links in their navigation menu and a megamenu wouldn’t be appropriate for them.

In general, I encourage journals to try to flatten their navigation structure. Large menus can be difficult to scan and use – whether deeply nested or not – and this is especially so on mobile devices. Where possible, it is often a good idea to use in-content links to sub-pages rather than trying to pack your entire sitemap into the main nav menu.

2 Likes

Hi Nate, thanks for your response. That makes sense! Rebecca.

1 Like