OJS 3.0 beta1 (+ extra characters to make 15)

I have installed OJS 3.0 beta1 successfully and would like to take it for a test drive. I’ve submitted a paper and want like to assign it to a coeditor (actually to myself). Is that possible? I can’t see where I can do that … The only option I can see is to “expedite” the submission.

Hi @osborne,

Assignments in OJS 3.0 beta use the “Participants” dropdown. Look for “Participants” near the top of the screen and use that to assign various users to the submission.

Note that we won’t be able to provide a lot of support for OJS 3.0 beta – it’s not for production use.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Thanks, Alec. I see the link now.

I understand that you can’t provide much support for the beta—no problem. I installed it to evaluate OJS for use by a group of journals. I’m very familiar with OJS2, but find the interface on OJS3 quite confusing and have decided to instead evaluate OJS 2.4.6. (For the record, after finding the “participants” dropdown, I realized I needed to enroll myself as a section editor … but couldn’t figure out how to do that. I’m missing the list of roles in “User home”. The interface of OJS3 looks more “modern” than that of OJS2; perhaps I’m just too familiar with OJS2 to get my mind around it.)

Are you at the stage where you want comments or bug reports on OJS3? If so, where is it best to post them?

Hi @osborne,

Here is good. Note that we’ve already made some considerable changes since the 3.0b release, so if you’d like to keep on top of things, you might want to toy with the git master branch.

We’re already aware from some early testing that the participants drop-down is easy to miss and doesn’t link sufficiently into user management to guide Editors into enrollment. I expect we’ll be experimenting with it a little before OJS 3.0 is finally released, but feedback and suggestions are welcome here!

There will definitely be some learning and training needed for users of OJS 2.x, since there are some major changes, but we can also do more work towards making the system self-explanatory.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team