Notifications of submissions in OJS 3.1.0

Hello PKP,

so far, we have tested the notifications-feature in OJS 3.1.0 and there are no problems with notifications for reviewers and discussions, but could it be that notifications for submissions are not sent (only the acknowledgement for the author) and that this needs to be fixed? In this context, which events are shown in the tasks and which not?

Finally, we have found a notification-view similiar with OJS 2.x, where all recent notifications are listet, but only accessible via URL (domain/index.php/journalpath/notifications).
Is there another way to access this view or are you still working on this feature?

Thank you in advance!

Best,

Tahsin

Please check in your Settings did you define who will receive notification upon submission.

Thanks for the hint, but isn’t this a different setting?
I expect the notifications for submissions to work especially for that purpose. Since for the other events (discussions, comments on review) notifications are sent, I don’t see a problem in the server environment, such as the mail-server.

Best

Tahsin

Hello,
It is important that you properly defined the E-mail address for author submission in
Settings/Workflow/Submission as on image below:

Screenshot_2018-03-22_16-38-53

My suggestion is that editor’s mail is not @gmail.com since author with @gmail.com will probably not receive mail sent from @gmail.com address if it is not sent from gmail.com server.

Hello @vvucic,

it’s about the notifications listed in the notification settings (see image). For me, three of them seem to work, that is emails are being sent when the box is not checked (discussion added, discussion activiy, review commented), two do not work (new article submitted, metadata modified).

I also do not understand which of the notifications appear as tasks in the task list.

And I do not understand which notifications appear in the notification listing in [domain/journalpath]/notification and why not all notifications can be configured via the notification settings (e.g. new issue, new announcement).

best,
Carola

notificationSettings

Hello,

I think that more comprehensive answer regarding that issue can be given by @asmecher .

Hi all,

In debugging email problems, it’s hard to know what might be OJS failing to send expected messages to the Mail Transfer Agent (MTA), and what might be the MTA deciding not to deliver them. The best way to debug this is to get access to your MTA’s log file, which should log messages sent and their intended recipients. If you see a message logged but never received it, then you know the MTA is not able to send it; if you don’t see it logged in the MTA’s log, then OJS isn’t sending it.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmecher, @vvucic,

emailing works fine, but at least for the new article notifications I found out what the “problem” is: I have only one editor and in this case no notifications are sent. When I remove the editor or add a second one, notifcations are being sent. I assume this is done on purpuse because the notifications says “A new article has been submitted to which an editor needs to be assigned”. But still it is not what I would expect and to be able to get a notifcation on new articles would still be benefical.

Concerning the notification “Metadata has been modified” I cannot find the code where the notification is created. When I grep in the OJS code I only find the following:

grep -r -i “NOTIFICATION_TYPE_METADATA_MODIFIED”

lib/pkp/classes/notification/PKPNotificationManager.inc.php: case NOTIFICATION_TYPE_METADATA_MODIFIED:
lib/pkp/classes/notification/form/PKPNotificationSettingsForm.inc.php: NOTIFICATION_TYPE_METADATA_MODIFIED => array(‘settingName’ => ‘notificationMetadataModified’,
lib/pkp/classes/notification/form/PKPNotificationSettingsForm.inc.php: NOTIFICATION_TYPE_METADATA_MODIFIED,
lib/pkp/classes/notification/managerDelegate/SubmissionNotificationManager.inc.php: case NOTIFICATION_TYPE_METADATA_MODIFIED:
lib/pkp/classes/notification/managerDelegate/SubmissionNotificationManager.inc.php: case NOTIFICATION_TYPE_METADATA_MODIFIED:
lib/pkp/classes/notification/PKPNotification.inc.php:define(‘NOTIFICATION_TYPE_METADATA_MODIFIED’, 0x1000002);

Are you sure there’s a notification supposed to be sent?

best,
Carola

Hi @carola,

Is editor auto-assignment taking place? If the submission is to a section that has a single editor designated as its editor, then OJS will automatically assign the editor and skip the “editor needs assignment” notification. However, the editor should still be notified of the new submission coming into their queue.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team