No primary locale recognized on installation

Hi,

I’m attempting to install Open Journal Systems for the first time and I’m hung up on the primary locale. I have tried both the web installation and the command line installation. From what I can see, I want en_US, however it does not accept this entry. The web installation offers an empty drop-down list and the command line installation appears to offer en_US as a default, but does not accept it either as the default or with ‘en_US’ typed in.

This is a FreeBSD server.

10.2-STABLE
FreeBSD vegan.parts-unknown.org 10.2-STABLE FreeBSD 10.2-STABLE #0 r286787: Fri Aug 14 14:58:35 PDT 2015     root@vegan.parts-unknown.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

I have a fairly complete PHP installation:

PHP 5.6.16 (cli) (built: Dec  7 2015 12:28:28) 
Copyright (c) 1997-2015 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.6.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2015 Zend Technologies
    with Zend OPcache v7.0.6-dev, Copyright (c) 1999-2015, by Zend Technologies

I run a number of applications on this server, including drupal, wordpress, dokuwiki, and some social networks, and I have never encountered a problem like this before.

Thanks!

Hi @n4rky,

That sounds strange – verify that registry/locales.xml is present and not accidentally modified, and ensure that the file permissions on your cache subdirectory permit OJS to maintain files there.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

That part seems right:

vegan% ls -al humanscience.institute/ojs/registry 
total 40
drwxr-xr-x   2 www  www   512 Jan 11 14:27 .
drwxr-xr-x  21 www  www   512 Jan 11 16:44 ..
-rw-r--r--   1 www  www  6858 Jan 11 14:27 emailTemplates.xml
-rw-r--r--   1 www  www  8455 Jan 11 14:27 journalSettings.xml
-rw-r--r--   1 www  www  3762 Jan 11 14:27 locales.xml
-rw-r--r--   1 www  www  1541 Jan 11 14:27 scheduledTasks.xml
-rw-r--r--   1 www  www  1372 Jan 11 14:27 siteSettings.xml

I eventually succeeded by abandoning my attempt to use updated sources and by using the command line installer.

What had happened was that I failed utterly in my attempt to apply the suggested patches to the code from the tar ball. So I attempted to get the updated source via git. I found three git sources that needed to be integrated but must have missed something.

FreeBSD’s patch command does support the -p option, but I’ve never understood the command well enough (or really at all, under any OS) to understand why things go wrong. It kept asking what file to apply the patches to and there didn’t seem to be a location I could change directory to to make it all go right.

So I eventually abandoned that entire effort and just used the tar ball. The web installer still failed (if memory serves, with the same symptom), but the command line installer succeeded. I now have an unpatched 2.4.7-1 running (but haven’t really gotten into setting up journals yet).

Hi @n4rky,

Sounds like good progress, though I’m still a little perplexed about some of the particulars.

If you want a production-ready, but patched, version of OJS 2.4.7, then check out the ojs-stable-2_4_7 branch, both in the OJS directory and in the lib/pkp submodule. You can use the HEAD of that branch to keep current with any minor patches.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Those were two of the git sources I found and it took a couple attempts to get everything in the right place. A third was swordappv2. (So obviously, this would not be a recommended approach to installation.) And it landed me with the problem with which I began this thread.

Hi @n4rky,

Did you find this documentation?
https://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php?title=Github_Documentation_for_PKP_Contributors

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Definitely didn’t have the jmacgreg bit. Off hand, that looks like it might have helped.

Hi @n4rky,

That’s just an example of how to add another developer’s remote repository. You wouldn’t need that to work with the stable branch for production use.

Regards,
Alec Smecher