Using OJS 18.104.22.168.
Multilingual (pt_PT, es_ES, en_US)
Some authors reported a small issue while making a submission: when they open the Abstract field the multilingual fields “pop-out” and cover the “Add Contributor” button. When they finish inserting data in the Abstract fields, they jump to the lower fields, because they do not see the covered objects.
So they asked if the multilingual fields could be always expanded (like the keywords, subjects, etc…).
I managed to do that by forcing the localization_popover_container_focus_forced class in the textInput.tpl and textArea.tpl files (/lib/pkp/templates/form/).
So, my questions are:
- Is this a issue for someone else? If more users would like to have the multilingual fields always expanded, it would be great to have that option somewhere in the backend
- We’d like to keep this change in our journal. So, what’s the best way to do it?
And, related do this, can you please validate my perception of how things work:
- We can make a plugin doing that change. Pros: it will probably work after a system update; Cons: It’s harder to make a plugin than to change directly the code and the plugin could need an update after a system update.
- We can change directly in the code after every system update. Pros: Easier way to do it. Cons: if there is a OJS code change that modifies how that class works, we’ll need to dig it again in it to see how to make our change work again
- We can make the files change (textInput.tpl and textArea.tpl) in our child theme (we use a healthSciences child theme). Pros: The change will still be active even after a system update; Cons: if a new OJS version changes the original files, our child theme will override them and keep us from getting the latest version of those files.
I’m I correct or I’m I getting the wrong picture?
Thank you very much, it’s being really satisfying to learn so much about programing while digging into the great, great work behind OJS (my sincere congratulations to PKP team!).
Rui Pedro Silva