Manuscript theme problem with OJS 3.2.1.4 upgrade

Hi,
We just upgraded to OJS 3.2.1.4 on our test system and a stylesheet is throwing a 500 error.
I think this is from the manuscript theme (v. 1.0.3.1) as when I use the default theme there is no error.

In the error log there are a number of notices:
PHP Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /var/www/sites/ojs3-sandbox/anserj/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/wikimedia/less.php/lib/Less/Parser.php on line 1927

Then the error:

PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Less_Exception_Parser: File `../../default/styles/fonts/notoSerif.less` not found. in index.less in /var/www/sites/ojs3-sandbox/anserj/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/wikimedia/less.php/lib/Less/Parser.php:2793
Stack trace:
#0 /var/www/sites/ojs3-sandbox/anserj/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/wikimedia/less.php/lib/Less/Parser.php(471): Less_Parser->Error('File `../../def...')
#1 /var/www/sites/ojs3-sandbox/anserj/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/wikimedia/less.php/lib/Less/Tree/Import.php(275): Less_Parser->parseFile('../../default/s...', '../../default/s...', true)
#2 /var/www/sites/ojs3-sandbox/anserj/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/wikimedia/less.php/lib/Less/Tree/Import.php(198): Less_Tree_Import->ParseImport('../../default/s...', '../../default/s...', Object(Less_Environment))
#3 /var/www/sites/ojs3-sandbox/anserj/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/wikimedia/less.php/lib/Less/Tree/Ruleset.php(248): Less_Tree_Import->compile(Object(Less_Environment))
#4 /var/www/sites/ojs3-sandbox/anserj/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/wikimedia/less.php/lib/Less/Tree/Import.php(279): Less_Tr in /var/www/sites/ojs3-sandbox/anserj/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/wikimedia/less.php/lib/Less/Parser.php on line 2793

I tried to downgrade the manuscript theme to the one in the plugin gallery. It seemed to work but when going to the installed plugin page the php error log spit out:
You are trying to downgrade the product “defaultManuscript” from version [1.0.3.1] to version [1.0.3.0]. Downgrades are not supported.

Best I can tell is the Manuscript theme 1.0.3.1 is not compatible with ojs 3.2.1.4. I can’t seem to downgrade the theme so I’ll just re-install and see if that works.

Hi @jhennig,

That’s interesting: you can check the Plugin gallery to see if the theme (or plugin) has been tested for compatability with certain versions of OJS: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pkp/plugin-gallery/main/plugins.xml

It does look like v. 1.0.3.0 of the theme has been tested for compatability with 3.2.1.4:

For example :

<release date="2020-02-27" version="1.0.3.0" md5="272b641ed37a75e073b5344dc3106937">
			<package>https://github.com/NateWr/defaultManuscript/releases/download/1.0.3/defaultManuscript-1.0.3.0.tar.gz</package>
			<compatibility application="ojs2">
				<version>3.2.0.0</version>
				<version>3.2.0.1</version>
				<version>3.2.0.2</version>
				<version>3.2.0.3</version>
				<version>3.2.1.0</version>
				<version>3.2.1.1</version>
				<version>3.2.1.2</version>
				<version>3.2.1.3</version>
				<version>3.2.1.4</version>
			</compatibility>

Pinging @NateWr - as the developer of the theme he might have some suggestions.

-Roger

Yes, 1.0.3.1 is not compatible with 3.2.x. You want 1.0.3.0. You can check the compatibility in the plugin gallery. It shouldn’t have asked you to upgrade to 1.0.3.1 unless you’re on OJS 3.3.x. How did you install defaultManuscript?

I think it was just downloaded via github. We sometimes have problems with the plugin gallery.

I didn’t know about that file. Thanks!