Maintain editor's role but remove her name from Editorial Team display

Hello,

I have an unusual request from one of our OJS (2.4.8) journal managers. She wants to keep the permissions of one of the editors, but remove her name from the following page:

https://openjournals.library.sydney.edu.au/index.php/HEP/about/editorialTeam

Is this possible without a daggy CSS hack? And if said daggy hack is necessary, where/how could I add that CSS?

Thanks,
Gary

Hi @gizzard,

You can disable automatic role listing generation in favour of manually-curated roles. That’s the only alternative to a daggy CSS hack or equally daggy template hack, unless you want to grant them Journal Manager or Site Administrator roles, which would give them access to the Log In As feature. That would allow them to impersonate whatever editor they like without needing their own editor role.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Thanks @asmecher,

I don’t really understand that first sentence. How do I disable “automatic role listing generation” and what are the consequences of that? Is that functionality able to be applied to a single journal, or is it site-wide?

Thanks,
Gary

Hi @gizzard,

Go into Journal Manager > Masthead and you’ll see two options there. This is configured on a per-journal level.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Ah great, thanks Alec, that should do the trick!

Cheers,
Gary

Hi Alec,

Just following on from this thread. I’ve done this and disable auto-gen of roles. However, ‘Editorial team’ still appears under ‘People’ in the About page.

I’ve tried deleting the membership to that old page but was unsuccessful. How can I remove that old ‘Editorial team’ page and only have the Editorial Team page, that I created, appear under ‘People’?

Cheers,

Alex

Hi @alex_ojs,

What version of OJS are you using? (Please include this in your posts.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi Alec, apologies. We’re using 2.4.8.

Many thanks,

Alex

Hi @alex_ojs,

The quickest way to remove that entry is by editing templates/about/index.tpl.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi Alec,

I added that in the browser after the journal link (https://openjournals.library.sydney.edu.au/index.php/HEP/index ) and an error page came up.

Could you please provide me with more detail and instruction about how to remove the automated “editorial team” link under People?

Many thanks,

Alex

Hi @alex_ojs,

This will involve logging into your server e.g. via CPanel or SSH, and editing that file on your server. The file is a Smarty template, and you can refer to the Smarty documentation, but essentially it’s HTML with some special tags in it.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thank you Alec, will give it a go!

Cheers,

Alex