JATS Template Plugin

We have installed the " JATS Template Plugin" (https://github.com/asmecher/jatsTemplate) in OJS OJS 3.1.1.2, but can’t figure out how it is supposed to work. Should it show up in the workflow? How do we generate the XML-files and where are they archived? If someone could provide us with some information on how to use the plugin it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @tormod,

Currently that plugin works in conjunction with the OAIJats plugin to deliver the generated JATS XML via OAI. I’m interested in hearing other ways journals would like to use the XML, if you have other plans; other integrations are possible too.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmecher,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I’m still unable to work out how these to plugins actually works. If you could provide any other documentation or use cases it would be appreciated.

Regarding your other question, we were interested in this plugin because we are converting articles to JATS XML for one of our journals. Now all the metadata for the articles are parsed from doxc/odt documents. We think that it would be better to reuse some of the standard metadata that is already entered into OJS with the submissions, such as author names, affiliation, email etc, in the final XML file. We were interested in seeing if this plugin could be used for such a purpose.

Hi @tormod,

I’d suggest experimenting with Open Typesetting Stack for automatic conversion of documents to JATS XML. It’ll produce better XML than the JATS Template plugin.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

OK, I have the same questions.
How to use JATS Template Plugin with OAI Jats plugin?
How to obtain basic JATS XML document generated from the OJS metadata and full-text extraction in cases where a better JATS XML document is not available?
Can you describe this process?

Hi @potravinarstvo,

If you have both the OAI Jats and JATS Template plugins installed and enabled, you should be able to query your OAI interface for records with the metadata format jats. This will contain a basic JATS document generated by the JATS Template plugin.

Regards,
Alec Smecher