Is "Usage Statistics" still useful if I choose not to show graphs?

Greetings!

I enabled the “Usage Statistics” plugin in our 3.1.1-4 and it works beautifully, displaying download stats under each article. However, my editor would like me to hide the graph from authors and readers. So, I went to Settings → Statistics display options, and unchecked “Display submission statistics chart for reader”.

My question: If this is unchecked, what utility does this plugin offer? Can I and my editor still see the graphs somewhere behind the screens? If not, does the plugin offer some functionality not offered by the 5 Report Plugins?

Hi @Lolekbolek

Yes, you can use the report plugins to see the metrics: PKP Usage statistics report, COUNTER Report, View Report and Custom report…

Best,
Bozana

1 Like

Thank you, @bozana. Just to double check: I already had PKP Usage statistics report, COUNTER Report, View Report and Custom report plugins enabled before enabling the “Usage Statistics” plugin. Does this plugin add some functionality to the existing reporting plugins? Do the reporting plugins work differently depending on whether the “Usage Statistics” plugin is enabled?

Hi @Lolekbolek

Hmmm… Are you sure those plugins worked when you haven’t used the UsageStats plugin at all? – At least some of them (e.g. COUNTER, I believe) are closely connected with the metrics coming from the UsageStats plugin…
Some of them could use the earlier OJS internal view numbers (e.g. with the metric_type = ojs::timedViews and/or ojs::legacyDefault, if any)…
For more information about the statistics framework and its changes over the time see this documentation: Statistics

Best,
Bozana