Injecting DOI based URL in place of usual page URL into AddThis Service

I have enabled AddThis service via the plugin on the site and I also have DOIs for the articles. I would like to push the DOI based URL to the AddThis service whenever a user wants to share the page through Twitter, Facebook, etc.

The reason for wanting this is that, I want Crossref to be able to track these items better.

Please let me know any solution that is out there I can leverage.

Cheers
Nason

Hi @Nason_Bimbe,

Interesting idea! I think in order to make this happen you’d have to fork and/or modify the code of the AddThis plugin (GitHub - pkp/addThis: OMP/OJS3 compatible integration of AddThis social media sharing) so it uses the article DOI rather than the article URL for sharing. I’m tagging the maintainer for this particular plugin @asmecher - he might be able to better speak to how feasible this might be.

Also, you may want to have a look at the shariff plugin too - another social media sharing OJS plugin, but, from what I can tell, I don’t think it shares based on DOIs.

Hi all,

The AddThis tools are designed to share the current page, i.e. the URL you see in the browser’s navigation bar. I’m not sure if there is a way to override that URL to provide a preferred URL that incorporates the DOI, but I wasn’t able to find one in a moment’s search. This would need some more detailed investigation to see what the AddThis service supports.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi Alec,
Thank you for the information. I hope the future iteration of the plugin could offer such an option regarding the type of URL to use.

Regards
Nason

Thanks @rcgillis, will take a look.

Nason