Information on authors in OJS 3 on article overview page

Hi,
we used to have a box with informations regarding the author(s) of the article but this is not shown anymore due to the layout. Is there a way to add it to the template? Maybe here? templates/frontend/objects/article_details.tpl
Best
Frank J.

Hi @Frank_J,

What information are you interested in adding?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi,
the biography field would be great. Otherwise is appears nowhere anymore, does it?
Best
Frank J.

Hi @Frank_J,

I’ll pass this around our UI/UX group – we’re still figuring out what mixture of options to support on the article page. Out of curiosity, do your authors tend to use ORCID?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi,
no they dont. Its not popular in our field maybe because its not available in German.
I got an account for myself.
It is possible to fetch the data from ORCID and display it on the page?
Then it would be maybe possible to convince people to use it.
Best (and a happy new year)
Frank J.

Hi @Frank_J,

We’re looking for ways to avoid handling author disambiguation and functionality like brag/browse pages ourselves, as there are other resources (like ORCID) that are able to put more energy into it – and we’re by nature a fragmented project, whereas something that operates as a service (rather than open source software) will be able to have a more comprehensive data set. Are there any national/international initiatives that you’re aware of that have better uptake in Germany than ORCID does?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi,
I understand that, but does ORCID maybe have an API which would make it possible to fetch the data from there and show it on the article page rather then just putting a link there (which not so many users may know what it means).
Maybe it could be a plugin?
Best
Frank J.

Hi @Frank_J,

Yes, ORCID does have an API that should be able to accomplish an OJS-based brag page using its data feed. Do you think that would be a suitable solution for you, i.e. that your authors would participate in ORCID? We are open to other ideas, but would prefer to integrate rather than reinvent the wheel.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I think for some of them it would be an option. So if they start complaining about not uptodate bios we could point them towards ORCID.

A similar problem exists btw. with email adresses. I recently emailed all 300 authors for a copyright-issue and thereby stumbled upon a lot of outdated mailadresses. If ORCID would have a mail field in their API maybe this would be an option to use.
Best
Frank J.

Hi @Frank_J,

Hmm, emails are a tricky one. That’s currently our most reliable piece of user metadata (barring an OAuth integration that might link e.g. to a Google or ORCID account, which is a work in progress at the moment). Do you think it’s typical for such a ratio of emails to be incorrect, or could it be an artifact of a batch import or something else?

Regards,
Alec Smecher