I cant update to OJS 3.1.14

Current error:

[20-Sep-2018 11:08:49 Europe/Berlin] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught  --> Smarty Compiler: Syntax error in template "app:app:frontendpagesindexJournal"  on line 79 "{call_hook|assign:"sidebarCode" name="Templates::Common::Sidebar"}" unknown modifier 'assign' <-- 
  thrown in D:\www\CEDEX\lib\pkp\lib\vendor\smarty\smarty\libs\sysplugins\smarty_internal_templatecompilerbase.php on line 79

What I did:

1. I have a development site here. So first I made a git clone to my local environment.
  2. There is some change in the OJS core (I know that I didn’t have to do that, but this is how it is: frowning:)
  3. I create two new branches, one for backup and another one for the update
  4. I download (with git) and install the new OJS 3.1.14 version, with composer and npm.
  5. Copy and paste one by one all the folders from OJS 3.1.14 and paste it on update branch.
    At this point, I try to check my local environment but it was broken, and the error shows up
  6. run the php tools/upgrade.php upgrade command and it looks weird… I mean:

Successfully upgraded to version 3.2.0.0

I thought that was working on version 3.1.14…

At the end nothing work. I am back to ojs 3.1.1.

The project is connected to my bitbucket project, so how do I update this, merging the new core code with my core changes.

Thanks!

Any idea? with this interesting topic?

Hi @josuevalrob,

I think you’re mixing your branches; it looks like you’re using the current master branch, at least in part, and that will eventually released as OJS 3.2 (but isn’t ready yet).

For OJS 3.1.1-4, I’d suggest using either the ojs-3_1_1-4 tag (equivalent to OJS 3.1.1-4), or the ojs-stable-3_1_1 branch (which gets fixes and tweaks added to it as we continue development, but which should always be stable).

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Okay, right now I will stay on 3_1_1, which is working for me.

question 2:

Do I need to update using git?. Or I can do it, just by downloading the ojs (last version) and passing/replacing my theme (old_gregg), my files and public files?.

Hi @josuevalrob,

You don’t need to use Git if you don’t want to. Check out the “full package” upgrade instructions in docs/UPGRADE if you’d rather work with the .tar.gz releases.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

1 Like