I can't find the 'Issues' menu in the sidebar either as Journal Manager or Journal Editor

Hello,

For the life of me I cannot find where to publish an issue from. There is no ‘Issues’ menu in my left sidebar. I logged in with Journal Manager and with Journal Editor, still nothing. Do I still need to enable something?

I’m very new to OJS3 (and OJS in general) but I quickly managed to get a child theme working; went through all the workflow with an article, got it to production and now the Issues section is nowhere to be found.

Hi @Alex_Protopopescu,

On the left-hand sidebar in a Journal Manager’s Dashboard, try the “Issues” menu. If you have your issue listed in Future Issues, spin out the menu of options by the issue and click “Publish Issue”.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hello,Yes, reading the documentation I expected to find the ‘Issue’ menu in the left-hand side-bar while logged in as JM or JE, but it is not there. Please see screenshot attached.

Hi @Alex_Protopopescu,

What exact version of OJS are you using? (It’s generally useful to include this in your posts.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hello,

The version I’m using is “Current version: 3.0.1.0 (January 3, 2017 - 11:37 AM)”.

EDIT: After you released OJS3 somewhere around late Aug last year, I downloaded that version and installed it and remember that I couldn’t find the Issues menu then too. But somehow I got it working then, only I can’t remember how. It wasn’t something server related I think, maybe it was something to do with a setting in the admin web interface.

If you have the time I can PM you the credentials for the installation.

Thank you!

Alex

Hi @Alex_Protopopescu,

The only cause of this I can think of is that your account doesn’t have a Journal Manager role. Can you double-check this? Have you edited the default roles in your installation?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I haven’t edited the default roles.

The vc_admin user I’m using has the following roles:

The role table looks like this:

The role edit page for JM looks like this:

I also tried using the vc_editor user which is JE, no luck there.

EDIT: when moving a article from production to publishing I get this error in my apache2 logs:
[Wed Jan 18 18:42:52.607933 2017] [fcgid:warn] [pid 2747:tid 140279512221440] [client 49.197.91.51:33079] mod_fcgid: stderr: PHP Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/build_vascularc/www/controllers/tab/issueEntry/IssueEntryTabHandler.inc.php on line 136, referer: http://vascularcell.domain.com/index.php/vc/workflow/index/1/5
Probably because there is no issue set.

Regards,

Alex

OK! I installed another instance of OJS3, and as soon as I created a journal the Issues menu was there.
Now that got me thinking about themes and I took out the bootstrap3 theme pack and my child theme from the main installation. I got the ‘Issues’ menu back. Apparently this issue had something to do with my child theme.

But now I have the issue that I can’t use my child theme. I’ll try a few more things and will come back with some details soonish.

Thank you very much!

Alex

The problem is caused by a header template I put up in my child theme. The presence of header.tpl from ~/www/lib/pkp/templates/common/ in my child theme’s templates folder ~/www/plugins/themes/paper-child/templates/common/ causes the ‘Issues’ menu to disappear from the sidebar. Even if there is nothing changed in the header.tpl file.

EDIT: just tried doing the same thing with the default theme, so I can rule out my child theme as being part of the problem, and yes the ‘Issues’ menu disappears from the side-bar on this theme too. So essentially templates/common/header.tpl cannot be used as a template, at least not on my installation.

Any ideas about this?

Regards,

Alex

If you are trying to edit the frontend header, then the correct folder is /templates/frontend/components/header.tpl.

Hi,

I know that, but I am trying to edit the backend header and there seems to be an issue with that.

Thank you,

Alex

Hi,

I uploaded an edited header.tpl to the default theme and added a new item under Issues. Seems to work:

I think I know the reason to your problem. Have you noticed, that there are two header.tpl templates:
https://github.com/pkp/ojs/blob/master/templates/common/header.tpl
https://github.com/pkp/pkp-lib/blob/master/templates/common/header.tpl

The one in OJS folder has the issue links and uploading a new template to the theme folder effectively replaces that one.

1 Like

I got my template from ~/lib/pkp/templates/common/header.tpl not from ~/templates/common/header.tpl

It works with the one from ~/templates/common/header.tpl like you said. Thank you!
But what’s with the other one? Why is it there in the first place?

Alex

The one in the OJS folder has the application specific content and the pkp-lib one has the general content used in other applications as well.

The OJS template assigns the issue links to a variable called appSpecificMenuItems and the loads the second header.tpl from pkp-lib. So, if you upload a header.tpl to a theme and use the code from pkp-lib, the issue links are not getting included.

I guess the only way to do that would be to create header.tpl to the theme folder using a copy of header.tpl from pkp-lib. After that you would have to copy these lines https://github.com/pkp/ojs/blob/master/templates/common/header.tpl#L11-L19 to line 81 of your new header.tpl.

3 Likes

Thank you very much! This cleared up everything.

Alex