How to upgrade OJS on Shared Web Hosting

Description of issue or problem I’m having:

Needing instructions to upgrade OJS on a shared Host, i.e., no shell access, (wouldn’t know what to do with it if I had it).

Steps I took leading up to the issue:

Searched and found the following from 2012 on stack overflow. This is probably incomplete for today’s versions of OJS:

Download and decompress the package from the OJS web site

Make a copy of the config.inc.php provided in the new package

Move or copy the following files and directories from your current OJS installation:
config.inc.php
public/
Your uploaded files directory (“files_dir” in config.inc.php), if it resides within your OJS directory

Replace the current OJS directory with the new OJS directory, moving the old one to a safe location as a backup

Be sure to review the Configuration Changes section of the release notes in docs/release-notes/README-(version) for all versions between your original version and the new version. You may need to manually add new items to your config.inc.php file.

Upgrade the DB by running a web-based script. To do so:

Edit config.inc.php and change “installed = On” to “installed = Off”
Open a web browser to your OJS site; you should be redirected to the installation and upgrade page
Select the “Upgrade” link and follow the on-screen instructions
Re-edit config.inc.php and change “installed = Off” back to “installed = On”

What I tried to resolve the issue:

Tried the above in a sandbox - didn’t work. Got stuck trying to open the homepage in order access the button to upgrade the database.

Application Version - e.g., OJS 3.1.2:
3.3.0-8

Additional information, such as screenshots and error log messages if applicable:
Any assistance very much appreciated. We are a small non profit and cannot afford managed hosting. Thanks in advance.

Hi @soj ,

I suggest to take a look at the official upgrade guide: https://docs.pkp.sfu.ca/dev/upgrade-guide/en/

Regards, Primož

Thanks, but of course I’ve looked at the official guide. As I described above, there’s no shell access on a shared host.