How to skip the pdf frame?

Hi
Is there a way I can skip the pdf frame? Normally when I click the pdf link it will show up in a frame. We use the OJS 2.4.8.1 and some of our journals would like to have their articles opening up as a “clean” pdf, not embedded in a frame. So is it possible to go directly from the pdf link to the pdf file?
Best regards
Niels Erik

Hi @nef,

OJS 2.4.x has a few options for PDF viewing – the PDF.js plugin (recommended if you aren’t already using it), the default PDFObject-based embedding, and Google Viewer (not recommended). If you’re not using the PDF.js plugin, try enabling it to see if it works better for your users.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

But I want to skip viewing the pdf in the frame and make an immediate download of the pdf after clicking the pdf link from Table of Contents page and the Abstract page. Is it possible in the OJS 2.4.x?
Regards
Niels Erik

Hi @nef,

The quickest way to do this, OTOH, would be to change the view operation into download in the Table of Contents and Search Results templates.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

But that you’ll have to do on the server and then it will influence all our journals won’t it?
Regards
Niels Erik

Hi @nef,

Yes, a straight-up modification of the template would affect all journals. If you want to do this on a journal-specific basis, you’ll need to write a theme plugin for that journal that uses a hook to override the specific template you want to modify. (FYI, this is a little easier in OJS 3.x.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher