How to register DOI of articles in future issues using Crossref XML Plugin

Hi

I wish to register DOI with Crossref using Crossref XML export plugin in OJS. But when I navigate to the plugin, future issues is not appearing in the drop down list of issues even though the articles parked in them have a DOI assigned and carries a publication date as well (postdated).

Please suggest how to proceed. I am using the latest OJS version.

You need to publish the issue first. Registration of unpublished articles is not possible.

Then how to register accepted research papers scheduled for publication in the forthcoming issues of the journal (say August 2022) but will published at a later date i.e. after 2-3 months. These papers are fully ready journal articles (except the galley file) that have landing pages as well as DOI assigned to them

Crossref supports so-called pending publications since 2019 (see https://www.crossref.org/documentation/research-nexus/pending-publications/ ), but I am not aware that OJS and its Crossref export plugin supports that.
As a workaround, you could create a so called “Online First” or “Early View” or “Advance Online Publications” issue that is a yearly issue, backdated to 2022-01-01 (you must hide the publication date), and publish the articles (probably with a dummy galley) first there. Later, when it is known in which issue they finally get published, you assign them to this issue and re-deposit the metadata with Crossref.

Hey thanks for the insight. But i was thinking of some other way. What if i publish my future issues first then submit the doi using the export plugin and once the doi is active i unpublish the issue. A bit of cheating. Will this work

Yes, this would work, BUT: It’s not only about the DOI, there is a resolver behind. People using the registered DOI would not find the landing pages on your system. So not to be recommended.

I’m joining in here as I have two papers for early view coming up but I don’t want the current issue to be bumped from the front page. So is there a way of creating an Early View Page with those papers without the current issue being in effect archived?

Yes, this is possible. You can put whatever issue as current issue. There is a menu item for that in the back issues tab of the back end.

I cant see a menu item on the Back Issues tab. What am I missing? or is it just a matter of ordering the issues? @ mpbraendle

The menu is with each issue - click on the small triangle of the issue you want to set current and open the menu.