How to install Custom Blocks Plugin for OJS 2.4.1?

Greetings, we run OJS 2.4.1 for our academic journal and I want to use custom blocks plug in but can’t find it in the General Plugins list. I assume this plug in was not included in this version. Upgrading to a higher (2.4.3 ) is an option because higher versions already have this plug in installed. However, upgrading is risky because I don’t have the access to databases and system administration for back up. So I searched the internet for an information on how to manually install customblocks plug in for OJS 2.4.1 but plugin gallery is down and I can’t find the tar.gz file for this plugin. I also don’t know if this version can run this plugin correctly. Can I manually install custom blocks plug in to my OJS 2.4.1 system? If yes, where can I find the installation file for this plugin? Appreciate any help with this issue.

Hi @emokhan,

The custom block manager plugin should be installed by default with OJS 2.4.1 – do you see anything in the plugins/generic/customBlockManager subdirectory of your OJS installation?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi Alec, thanks for the help, I thought 2.4.1 didn’t include this pluginb so I never checked the plugins directory but yes there is customBlockManager folder under generic. So why doesn’t this plug in show up in the ‘generic plugins’ list in OJS?

Hi @emokhan,

Can you check that all the files that ship with that plugin for your version of OJS are present?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi again,
How can I chack that? I don’t have the plug in tar.gz file. But I checked from another OJS we run (ver 2.4.3) and all files under customblockmanager folder match, there seems to be no missing file or folder, only size of some files differ. I also noticed that some other plugins are also missing in this 2.4.1 ojs, for instance static pages. Do you think reinstalling these missing plugin would work? But I have to find tar.gz installation files for these plugins for 2.4.1, which I was unable so far.
Thanks for your help.

Hi @emokhan,

I’m not sure what’s happening with that plugin, but one way to likely get it working would be to upgrade your 2.4.1 installation to the latest 2.x (or better yet, if you’re ready, OJS 3.x). Keeping up to date is recommended anyway, and I do suspect it would get that plugin working if you followed the “full package” upgrade instructions.

Regards,
Alec Smecher